Can i use ordinary line brakes?

Hello!
I copy multiline text and paste it to nano editor at ubunru via ssh
and i see it pastes as oneline text. Can i see it as a multiline text and paste it as a multiline text. Without using double space requierments of markdown ?
Thanks

There are various options for pasting text, try one of the other options, and see if that doesn’t behave more to your liking.

That is, either Edit > Paste or Edit > Paste and Match Style, or the appropriate shortcut for either version.

In what app i should try " Edit > Paste or Edit > Paste and Match Style" ?

Ehh…Obsidian?

And now I see I might have misread your request. I’m not sure how to get the long lines of texts which are auto-wrapped within Obsidian, to paste as many lines in another editor.

To answer directly the original question, I would say that it should be understood that Obsidian is a pure text editor. And in pure text, there exists no such thing as a paragraph ; there are only characters grouped into lines, lines being defined by an end of line character. That’s why Markdown syntax specifies that “a paragraph” is “a block of text that is separated from other blocks of text by an empty line”.

Special case : a preference, in Obsidian and in a few other Markdown editors or interpreters, let you determine if you would like that an “EndOfLine” character should be interpreted as a “Soft Return” or ignored. Two successive “EndOfLine” characters are always required to signify an “end of paragraph”.

Now, if you want to break a long paragraph into shorter lines, thus constituting a block of text, you have to resort to a text cleaning utility or to a function in a text editor — “Hard Wrap…” in BBEdit, for example.

I have no knowledge or experience with Unix or Linux, but I can say that nowadays, you never have to do such things on MacOS or in Windows if you’re writing text. Maybe if you’re documenting the source code of a program and that’s why such a function does live in a code editor.

Thats a text i have problem with

dn: uid=emoxam,ou=External_Users,ou=Users,dc=s1-2,dc=m11
objectClass: top
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: shadowAccount
cn: emoxam
uid: emoxam
uidNumber: 16859
gidNumber: 0
homeDirectory: /home/emoxam
loginShell: /usr/sbin/nologin
gecos: emoxam
userPassword: {crypt}x
shadowLastChange: 0
shadowMax: 0
shadowWarning: 0

whenever i paste it to obsidian i have it in one line, at other =editros i have multilined text…

You can change this (markdown default) behaviour in settings → editor → strict line break.

1 Like

Or end each line with two spaces:

dn: uid=emoxam,ou=External_Users,ou=Users,dc=s1-2,dc=m11  
objectClass: top  
objectClass: account  
objectClass: posixAccount  
objectClass: shadowAccount  
cn: emoxam  
uid: emoxam  
uidNumber: 16859  
gidNumber: 0  
homeDirectory: /home/emoxam  
loginShell: /usr/sbin/nologin  
gecos: emoxam  
userPassword: {crypt}x  
shadowLastChange: 0  
shadowMax: 0  
shadowWarning: 0  

<— live preview left; reading view right —>

Thanks, seems it’s what i needed, strange how did i miss that option…

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.