Can I think of links as keywords?

Hi All,

Newbie here, limited skill set.

I have been stumbling around trying to wrap my head around the idea of linking, as per zettelkasten, evergreen, smart notes, etc. I have not created many new notes yet, but have imported hundreds of snippets and musings, mostly from social media posts. Obviously, their only function at the moment is as a dumb archive of limited value.

Anyway, I think I just heard the penny drop regrding linking, but maybe you could tell me if it was really a penny or maybe a turd? Is my thinking on the right track?

It occurs to me that as I don’t have many links yet, and no way to link to my existing stack of data, that links may serve as somethng like “key words” or a specia kind of tag. In other words, if I am typing away and a connection of some kind occurs to me, just make it a link. They won’t be pointing to any content, I will eventualy be able to populate those empty notes with content from new or existing data.

Does that make sense? Do you think I am on the right track with my thinking?

Thanks!

Rex

2 Likes

Yes. I do this extensively. In fact, I’ve stopped using tags to track topics and content almost completely. Whenever there’s a topic I don’t have time to write about, I just make a dead link with its name and stick that link in a few different notes (so I’m less likely to forget I made it). Whenever I want to write about that topic, I create the note, click “backlinks,” and boom, I’ve got stuff to work with. I think of it as a poor man’s MOC.

4 Likes

Do what suits you best.
If you think this approach is good for you – do it.
Yes, you definitely can do this and as I saw, many do this in their PKB.
There is my reply to related topic. I guess, it may help you a bit with decision.

Also, I don’t suggest to you trying to make you personal knowledge system with all details. Usually what you are planning at beginning and what you actually get when you have like 50-100+ notes are very different. Your system will involve with time and you will find best approach that fits to you.

2 Likes

Most of my tags have become links over time, mostly because:

• Soon i want to add a value to the tag, which obsidian doesn’t have, so it becomes a property/attribute
  • Soon i want to add context to the tag, and then i want a note attached to it.

So i realized tags are only suitable for things like document status (draft, done, todo…), while link offers much more functionalities and context thanks to the attached note.