Can I open Obsidian from command line like VSCode?

Open a folder as a Vault from command line (terminal, in Mac)

It would be really nice if I could open a folder in Mac through terminal. Obsidian may consider that as a Vault. I know the plugins/settings would not be the same. But I am happy to live with that given the fact that I have gotten so much used to the Obsidian’s simplified Markdown editing. Just want that when I want, in a specific folder, that’s all the ask is.

Can someone please help if there’s already a way to do this please?

ie:
obsidian-cli

or similar.. ?

I’m not sure if you can create a vault (“open folder as vault”) with URIs, but you can use Obsidian URIs for a lot of things.

For example, this opens the +dashboard note in the tree vault:

open "obsidian://open?vault=tree&file=+dashboard"

This opens a search for weather in the tree vault:

open "obsidian://search?vault=tree&query=weather"

…and so on. :grinning:

Do you want a command for opening the Obsidian application at a certain folder or do you want to edit with a terminal text editor like vim? One benefit of Obsidian’s approach to files (that is, using regular markdown files) is that you can edit them with any text editor.

The only way to open Obsidian from the command line is with a URI as @ariehen describes. You can only open folders in Obsidian that are already vaults (or in a vault); there is a feature request to allow opening anything: Add ability to use Obsidian as a markdown editor on files outside vault

Yes, you can. I run Linux and installed it via flatpak. I wanted to set up a hotkey to launch Obsidian that way but you still need the cli command to launch it. So I went into the programs menu and right-clicked the launcher to put a desktop shortcut on my desktop, then I opened the shortcut in a text editor to find the command to launch it. I then copied the command and pasted it into my hotkey command, and also tested it out in the command line.

ON my system at least the command is: /usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=obsidian.sh --file-forwarding md.obsidian.Obsidian @@u %U @@

And to just bring the app to the foreground, open obsidian:// (if on Mac)

Obsidian 1.12 includes the official Obsidian CLI