Can I make a callout into an item in a bulleted list?

Things I have tried

Is there any way for me to put an entire call-out as one bulleted item on a list?

This is what I’ve tried:

* Level 1
    	* > [!quote] Here's the quoted text

but the callout doesn’t work because of the bullet point.

I have also tried:

• adding headings to the callout so that I can fold it

but that isn’t as useful for me, because being able to indent, outdent, to quickly outline is very helpful.

What I’m trying to do

What I’m trying to do is to be able to outline and fold everything, including callouts and code blocks.

I find outlining and folding hierarchical bulleted lists so helpful: to quickly indent, or outdent to change the level, or to quickly fold away levels of detail.

5 Likes

Perhaps the Obsidian Admonition extension is suitable for you, there is a way to nest one list in another, see the documentation here GitHub - valentine195/obsidian-admonition: Adds admonition block-styled content to Obsidian.md, section Rendering Code Blocks inside Admonitions, I think this is what you are looking for.

1 Like

I can get callouts in lists to render properly in Reading Mode, but not Live Preview (except in one very weird instance, which is unintentional).

Two people posting about similar things within hours: Is there a way to indent a callout (within a bullet list)?

Maybe someone should file a Feature Request if there isn’t one yet.

2 Likes

Ah, thank you for pointing out that I should try Reading Mode, where it does render for me.

Would you have any tips for being able to put a code block into a list?

I’ll look into how to file a Feature Request–I’m brand new, so I’ll check out how to do it, and file one.

Thanks again

Generally the same way you would with a callout, except Live Preview works better:

1. Parent
    > Parent blockquote

1. child
        >  Child blockquote

2. Parent
    > [!note] Parent callout

1. child
        > [!note] Child callout

2. Parent
    ```
    code block
    ```

1. child
        ```
        code block
        ```

- > Inline Blockquote
- > [!note] Inline callout
- ```
  inline codeblock is buggy: swallows up next item
  ```

Gives me (Live Preview and reading view):

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.