[Bug] Screenshots shared to Obsidian are missing the filename extension

Platform

[x] iOS
[ ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v1.2.3 (57)

When taking a screenshot of my iPhone and sharing that to Obsidian, a new file called screenshot is created without extension. It should have the .png extension. Otherwise, the file isn’t recognized by Obsidian and isn’t displayed properly.

I don’t think they are PNG.

I ran file screenshot and got:

screenshot: PNG image data, 828 x 1792, 16-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced

This is when sharing from an iPhone Xr running the latest iOS 15.5

Btw, it would also be greatly helpful if screenshot were automatically renamed with a timestamp to more easily differentiate, e.g screenshot 2022-07-02T184616Z.png, as macOS does.

1 Like

thanks

Steps to reproduce

Take Screenshot on iOS and share it to Obsidian via Share Sheet.
Obsidian asks to import “Screenshot” into vault → Selected

IMG_0031

Obsidian Messagebox “Success” with Options to insert link into note → link gets inserted.

No image file is listed in File Explorer and the inserted Link is “Screenshot x” without a file extension.

Actual result

Environment

• Operating system: iOS, Obsidian Version 1.3.1

Additional information

iOS File Manager show the screen shots getting saved without an file extension.

Sharing a picture via Photo to Obsidian works as expected.

Just ran into this using Obsidian v1.4.1.

Everything exactly as @obsequious and @pcs mentioned.

other info:

• sharing from the iOS screenshot UI is fine to other apps (i tried notion and one drive) and it’s a .png.
  • sharing from photos.app to obsidian works fine (screenshots show a .png and photos a .jpg in obsidian)

I also ran into this.

Also, when adding it to a note like this, I can’t even find the imported image (or I don’t know where to look)! It is not in my configured attachment folder. They are visible in the Files app, I assume Obsidian doesn’t show them due to the missing extension.

Adding it from Photos works as expected.

Is the bug (from screenshots) still happening?
We can’t repro anymore

Yep, still happening.

Can you post a screen recording, please?

Steps to reproduce

Screenshot on IPad → Copy to System. Paste in Obsidian

Expected result

Paste Screenshot

Actual result

Doesn’t Work

Environment

iPad Pro 4th Generation IPadOS 16.2

What are the exact steps you take? “Copy to system” is a bit unclear. :thinking:

• Using the screenshot screen “sharrow” (share arrow) on iOS 16.2/Obsidian 1.4.2 (90) and iPadOS 16.2/Obsidian 1.4.1 (83): after import, I get a ![[screenshot]] link in my note. Not what I want or expect.
  • A few months ago I was getting screenshots with no file extension using the sharrow.

I’ve found the iOS/iPadOS screenshot-sharing window unreliable for non-Apple apps (including Obsidian). Saving to Photos and then sharing from there works in every app I’ve tried so far including Obsidian.

1. Take a screenshot → tap on the picture-in-picture screenshot image.
  2. Edit (or not) and tap “Done”. You see this menu:
  3. Save to Photos.
  4. Open Obsidian → open the note you want to put the screenshot in → place your cursor in the note where you want to insert the screenshot. <-important
  5. Open Photos → select the image → tap the sharrow → choose Obsidian → “Import to vault”
  6. Choose “Insert link into NOTENAME
  7. Success!

A bit clunky but it works.

2 Likes

Still need to save the screenshot to photos first, but Wealthychef pointed out an easier method here using the “Insert attachment” icon or command →

1 Like

I hadn’t seen this is a while (see above linked post), but “Detect all extensions” was off and didn’t notice the “screenshot” files. Still happening.

@WhiteNoise From the screenshot share screen:
https://imgur.com/z7AtlK6

Share from Photos:
https://imgur.com/6fa5EIT

iOS 16.3
Obsidian 1.4.2 (90), restricted mode, default theme

we managed to repro thanks!

1 Like

will be fixed v1.4.2