[Bug] Obsidian conflicts with iPadOS 15 menus with external keyboard attached

Platform

[x] iOS
[ ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: 1.0.5 (based on v0.12.19)

On the iPad, Obsidian clearly doesn’t understand some of the new behaviors in iPadOS 15 related to the keyboard.

Firstly, its keyboard shortcuts are not broadcast to the system. This leads to two problems:

1. when holding Cmd, Obsidian shortcuts aren’t displayed. What I get is the cookie-cutter menu like this:

1. this leads to the additional problem that if I don’t immediately remember the keyboard shortcut for a given function, and hold the Cmd key for a moment, the above menu displays and precludes me from using the actual Obsidian keyboard shortcuts. This is a terrible experience and makes me use Obsidian on the iPad much less.

—-

The second related problem is that the new keyboard hover menu doesn’t hover, and takes the bottom part of the screen instead. This is how it should look (screenshot taken from Safari this very moment):

This is how it looks in Obsidian instead:

This is not as big of an issue as the first problem but it looks weird and gives us less room for our content.

3 Likes

The shortcuts menu being shown on long pressing Cmd. Do you know if there is a way to turn this off on in iOS? I haven’t been able to find any setting for it.
Thanks for reporting, by the way, it’s been annoying me too.

1 Like

No, you can’t turn it off. It’s a new features in iOS 15 and literally every other app I have plays nice with it except for Obsidian. It’s on Obsidian for completely foregoing iOS guidelines and having its own system for keyboard shortcuts, I’m afraid.

I hope it gets fixed.

1 Like

What do other apps do?

I’ve just opened half a dozen apps and invoked the Globe menu and it looks the same on all of them.

I don’t think that this is avoidable.

On other apps, the globe menu hovers over the bottom part of the screen. You can minimize it and relegate it into a corner. It’s definitely not taking up the whole bottom row. What apps are you using?

Drafts, Messages, Obsidian, Omnifocus, Discourse.

All show the Globe menu at the bottom of the screen.