[Bug] iOS: Problem with writing Chinese/Japanese characters

Are you using iOS or Android?

[x] iOS
[ ] Android

Is this a bug report or a feature request?

[x] Bug report
[ ] Feature request

On iOS, writing Chinese or Japanese characters are almost impossible as the keyboard freezes immediately after the first or second completion. However, there’s no problem with writing Korean characters though…

Watch my screen recording as well.

FYI the keyboards I’ve used in the above video are:

1. Japanese – Romaji (not work)
  2. Chinese, Traditional – Handwriting (not work)
  3. Korean – Standard (works well)
3 Likes

We’ve made several upgrades to our editor in the last few versions. Is this still an issue?

Default Japanese keyboard on iOS doesn’t work well. Sometimes, the processes of converting characters stop Obsidian Mobile from working completely, and then we cannot do anything. This problem still exists in v0.0.19

Obsidian Mobile version: v0.0.17~v0.0.19

I have the same problem. :cry:

I’m having the same problem.
The first conversion works fine, but if I repeat the conversion several times, it stops in the middle of the conversion and freezes.

iOS の画像

Same here.

I have found a way to repro this issue and have filed an upstream bug report at iOS IME causes app/page freeze with line wrapping. · Issue #502 · codemirror/codemirror.next · GitHub

1 Like

Please add [Bug] or [Feature] to your post title, then delete this line.

Platform

[x] iOS 14.5 iPhone 12 mini
[ ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v0.0.19(6)

I used to typing Chinese and English together by Chinese keyboard on my mobile phone, but recently I find that when I type English by Chinese keyboard in Obsidian APP, the hole APP freezes and I have to restart it. It works well by using English keyboard. Does anyone have this problem?

1 Like

Platform

[x] iOS 14.5 - iPhone 11
[ ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v0.0.19

I’ve got the same issue here.

For better clarity, here is a gif.

1 Like

Platform

[ x] iOS
[ ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v0.0.17

The device is ipad pro 2018 (12.9 inch) with Software Version of 14.4

When I type in Chinese Pinyin, the whole Obsidian app got stuck as long as I typed a single english letter and pressed ‘Space’ or ‘Enter’. I have to turn off the app and restarted the app. The exact Pinyin keyboard (system or from a third party) does not affect this bug.

@Licat worked on this and there will be a fix in 0.1.1

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.