[Bug?][iOS] Photo added to note is wrong orientation

Platform

iOS
Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v0.0.15(2)

This might be me, it might be Obsidian mobile. Photo’s added to a note via Insert Attachment > Photo Library are usually rotated when added to the vault by 90 degrees and sometimes 180 degrees. Doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the original orientation of the photo when taken. Same photos added from the Photo Library to other apps (e.g., GoodNotes) are oriented correctly.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere; which I’m sure the mods will tell me. If so, delete this thread.

2 Likes

I can’t seem to repro using jpeg photos. Can you find a specific pattern related to which orientation the photo was taken originally vs how it shows up in the app?

Platform

[x] iOS
[ ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v1.0.5

Take a regular photo on iPhone in portrait mode (phone vertical).
Upload the image into a note and select small, medium or large instead of “actual size”.
The photo will now show rotated 90 degrees to landscape format.
When you select “actual size” it shows in the correct orientation.

I tried this with a bunch of photos and got the same result every time.
Also, when I open the photo file on my PC it shows the photo rotated in landscape mode.

Hi -

When I use iOS to insert images from the photo library, they occasionally get rotated. I’ve noticed that this issue has come up several times before.

Some additional information:

• This doesn’t happen when you use the full size image, only when you choose a smaller image
  • When you choose a smaller image, sometimes it works, but other times it doesn’t
  • It doesn’t happen when you choose “camera” and take a picture to insert.
  • All the images where this happened were directly chosen from the Photos app and taken using the iOS camera.

Seems like their could be some bug in the logic that shrinks the image?

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.43.41 PM

Some of my embedded images are rotated into all sorts of direction (upside down, 45 left or right), at times they are embedded in the right way. Any ideas?

4 Likes

I had this happen today as well. Inserted three images from my iPad camera roll, and it has inserted them in landscape rotation rather than portrait.

+1, happens to me fairly often as well.

My current workaround for this is:

• Insert image
  • If incorrect rotation, open iOS “Files” App
  • Locate new image in Obsidian Vault Folder
  • Long Press Image
  • Click Rotate Left or Rotate Right

It’s somewhat inconvenient, I would probably add a lot more images to my Obsidian vault if this were fixed.

1 Like

nice work around ! :grin::+1:t2:

Is this being worked on? Happens for me when inserting photos from library. I’ve not tested inserting full size images, but resized images will consistently get rotated incorrectly.

+1 please fix. This is still a bug, even in the latest release…

is this still happening?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.