After sharing this on Discord, it appears that for some users on Android, Obsidian is slow, even extremely slow, to launch and be responsive.
Obsidian should take a reasonable maximum time to launch and be responsive, between 1s and 3s maybe (1s-2s seems common among iPhone users).
- On my phone, in Safe mode with default theme, the app takes 10 seconds to launch and again 2-3 seconds to be responsive enough to use.
- With Minimal theme and 4 plugins enabled: 12 seconds to launch and again 3 seconds for responsiveness.
- Operating system: Android 11 (LineageOS)
- Obsidian version: 0.12.19
- Phone model: Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- No micro SD card
- Vault size: 640MB (1100 notes + 1200 attachment files)
- Obsidian Sync enabled
Bearing in mind that Obisidan mobile isn’t a native app, but considering that:
- it is by default a simple Markdown editing app;
- my phone has 3GB of RAM and a 2.3 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800;
- I don’t do anything fancy on my Android setup;
- my vault isn’t large;
- even after launch, most of the UI is sluggish (huge animation delays);
- Obsidian is the only application on my phone that underperforms like this;
I think it is reasonable to think that something is wrong with the app under certain circumstances of use.
Edit 1: I’ve made sure that my vault doesn’t contains any HTML notes mistakenly stored as .md files.
Edit 2: I have removed from my vault the 10 largest attachments files (the 10 attachments larger than 9MB, mostly PDF files). Obsidian desktop and mobile synced, apps restarted: same load time, don’t change anything.
Edit 3: for testing, I’ve created a new empty vault from the mobile app. Empty vault, safe mode, default theme: 5-6s to launch, snappier UI (slow, but not sluggish). Empty vault, same plugins and theme as my main vault: 7-8s to launch and clunky, annoyingly slow UI.
Different users load times:
“Takes about 10 seconds on a [Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 (2021)] for me when opening it for the first time.”
“Is it normal for Obsidian on Android to take >15s to start or do I have some janky settings? To quickly jot down an idea on the fly this is far from ideal [Google Pixel 4a (2020)]”
" android has noticeable startup time which is sometime quite annoying while taking quick notes"
“I just counted and it takes me like 6 seconds to load [on a Google Pixel 4a (2020)]”
“Obsidian loads in less than a second for me on a [Samsung Galaxy S20 (2020)]”
“My iphone doesn’t even take a second to load (max of 2 seconds occassionally) and once loaded it is fully responsive for me.”