Bring back highlight of active pane (tab)

Use case or problem

In the past, there was a horizontal border below the title of the active pane. (This was before the sidebar was enabled to receive keyboard keys.)

That feature was quite useful so we knew in which pane a search result or file explorer item opened.

But now there’s no visual indication anymore:

Proposed solution

Add a highlight to the currently active pane (tab), like the horizontal border we had in the past. Or some icon. I don’t really mind what it is.

Current workaround (optional)

• (No known workaround.)

Related feature requests (optional)

• (Couldn’t find a related request for this. Apologies if I overlooked one.)
7 Likes

thanks, this is a borderline bug.

1 Like

Hi,

I was just about to post about this. I often work with many tabs open at a time, and it’s very difficult to see which tab is active. Even in the documentation example it’s difficult to see, at a glance, which tab is on top.

I’m not sure if there is any active development on this, but I would like to say that there is at least one other person interested in this feature.

Thanks,

L

You can achieve this functionality by changing the “Tab text color (Active)” setting (at least in Minimalist style); however, this will highlight the active tab in each group/pane/split/window. But you can also highlight the active tab group (aka pane, split, etc.) per this suggestion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ObsidianMD/comments/14y6jqg/what_type_of_css_snippet_do_i_need_to_add_to/