Bookmarks organization

Friends. Need help.
Me, like all of us, have a lot of URL bookmarks for any topic.
Main question - what is the right way how to keep it and link???
I want to make it right from the start…

Make one note with Headers - photo, video, forums etc and make links to note#header when necessary?
Make notes by topics - photo.md video.md forum.md keep bookmarks there? link to notes when necessary and have index file with dataview collecting all bookmarks in one note?

What you think?
Sorry, I did dig all the internet but can’t find right solution but I am 100% sure that somebody already created a tutorial.

Thank you in advance.

I haven’t done this kind of thing and I’m struggling to find the best solution (or would be if I had to do this for myself).

I’d like to put them in a YAML property, but currently the URL links are not clickable in YAML…

As with all computer stuff, automation is key. How are you going to import them? How many are they?
Some Template JS script could help, or maybe I’d do it with a Python script with Obsidian closed (and would do it with a test vault when wanting to write stuff onto the disk).

There are some Firefox/Chrome/Edge add-ons where one can copy the URLs of all open tabs (then probably there are add-ons to open or copy all bookmarked URL’s too), and could put those in a txt file and go from there.
Hard to say anything else from here.

Then one could use Omnivore and save entire web pages in markdown.

Lets say another way.

I am studying SEO… Shall I create note SEO_links and put all links to soft, articles etc there OR I shall create additional notes for topics - keyword.md searching.md etc and make LINKS&ARTICLES section in each note and then make inlinks from SEO_links to LINKS&ARTICLES of each note?

You can put whatever wherever you like – the markdown structure for notes is usually:

# Heading 1 for title

…and then ## heading 2 etc. for sections where you can put your stuff, text, links etc.

As I said, currently, the YAML cannot accept clickable outside URLs – it’s being implemented.

Such lists can be done in a myriad of different ways, and my suggestion to you is to consider how do you see yourself using these lists in the future? In the past I’ve built megalists in a separate document, which I never look at again. I’ve also build smaller lists closer to the topic at hand which seems like a better way, at least for me.

So I’d start by considering that aspect: How do you plan to use the lists, and how do you want to search for these links/notes/… ?

My initial thought would be to keep the links close to the topic they cover, so that when you’re reading about that topic you’ll also see the links you’ve gathered over time. Using a specific form for your links, could make it possible to gather these links using dataview queries, but that would requires for each reference to either be in a tagged list item or in a task with one (or a few) given status character(s).

If links like these are only placed in topic notes, you could theoretically then easily build a global reference list using the note link related to the topic, and the links as just that.

I’d do it something like this:
Put all bookmarks in a txt file, one URL for each line.

• Don’t do this by hand. Open all bookmarks in a browser and copy the currently open tabs to the clipboard with an extension. Then paste into the txt file. Do it with an extension that puts every URL in a new line. I’ve done something like this a short time ago.

Get ChatGPT to write the script for you. It is much better at Python than with JavaScript or any Obsidian related stuff.
Specify the path to the txt file the script will read from and the absolute path leading to vault (or preferably to a folder under vault’s root) and get the robot to write the script to create markdown files (with Obsidian closed, so the app can index the files on startup): easiest to do is one URL for one file (let names be file1 to file(n), or whatever). You can tell the robot to create YAML for you as well, etc.
You can play around with this but obviously there’s only so much automation you can do. You need to rename the files to descriptive names and hand-pick various bookmarks to transfer them to another note if they are related. (Blondes with the blondes, etc.)

There’s also Obsidian Canvas, which can be populated with website cards. Again, automation is possible for that. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Preferably you’ll do this for a new vault then you can copy the files over to your master vault.

Gents, thank you for attention but it looks like you did not get what I want. Or I can’t explain correctly :wink:
I need STRATEGICALLY organize all my bookmarks in my Obsidian vault. So I need to make a decision and then just follow it.
So I ask our Guru for better solution :wink: I believe that everybody use it so I want to do it right from the start.
As I see - there are two variants:

1 - BIG bookmark note with Headings…all other notes just link to the appropriate Heading of the Bookmark note. Like I write an article about Pencil - so all sources, useful URLs etc I put into Bookmarks.md under Heading - Pencil. So anytime I could refer to it.

2 - Each note has it’s own List of sources, urls, names of software, blogs etc at the end (for example). But I have to make big table of contents to compile everything together… In this case I think I will have a lot of duplicates.

I’m referring to 1) of your variants.
You have two choices: transclude from heading ![[Bookmarkfile#Pencils]] or make Dataview queries (there are a few on the forum that target headings).

Why I don’t recommend this method is because there are tons of interests (practically thousands) and the bookmark file will be extremely long and hard to take in and not to mention hard to edit.

Me too :wink: And I have the same concerns. But in this case you can link from multiply notes to the same set of bookmarks.
Actually my question was HOW do YOU do that??? :wink: I cant’t believe that I am the only smart person storing URLs for future purpose ;)))

Staying with the transclusion method.

You put all your stuff in one bookmark file or if it’s too long, you can use Bookmark1, Bookmark2, etc.

You use:

<Bookmarks1.md>

Pencil

http://pencilworld.com/herearethesharpestpencilsinthedrawer

• Very good pencil, I tried it, had to look for Bandage bookmark later on.

Bandage

http://weaponsbeforewarbandagesduringandafter.com/bestquality-bandages

• Love this bandage business.

So when you are in the new note and you want to include information back from this file you enter in this new file:
![[Bookmarks1#Pencil]]

and you get:

Pencil

http://pencilworld.com/herearethesharpestpencilsinthedrawer

• Very good pencil, I tried it, had to look for Bandage bookmark later on.

Me on the other hand was referring to this alternative. I feel having the links and references close to the topic they are referring to, is the better option. I’m also partially prone to using tasks with alternate checkboxes.

So typically I would scatter some tasks here and there in the “Pencil” note, or potentially store everyone under a given heading, but they could look like:

Like they said in pencilworld... bla, blah, ... 

- [b] http://pencilworld.com/herearethesharpestpencilsinthedrawer

And later on I could continue to talk about graphite maybe?

- [b] Most pencils are made out of  [[Graphite]]

Which could display as:

(Hmm… I’ve not made a test note on Graphite yet? Strange !!! )

These could later on be gathered into a large list by doing:

```dataview
TASK
WHERE status = "b"
FLATTEN text + " (" + file.link + ")" as visual
SORT visual
```

Where then each reference would be listed sorted alphabetically with the file reference in parenthesis behind. If you wanted to limited such a query, like at the end of the “Pencil” note you could list tasks from just that note.

In short, having the references either internal or external links, or pure textual references as tasks, allows for you to sort and organise them in a multitude of ways later on, and they can visually stand out (as much as you like) in the original document. And since they’re task, if you make that query somewhere, you can always click on the task text to get back to where it was defined and see the context of that reference.

1 Like

I have tested that. It looks logic…BUT:

1. I make note Pencils.md - where I put all the info about pencils. Following the idea above I have to make Header # Pencils in the Index-Bookmarks.md and put all the links, sources, books there, so I could refer to it anytime.
    OR
  2. I make note Pencils.md with section # Sources&Links and add link to it into Index-Bookmarks.md - it would be a little bit longer to follow but all the info will be in the Pencils note with link to index bookmarks.

I do not know yet if I can use it as solution but it looks so COOL :wink: Thank you.

Main questions - For example note advertising.md which is part of marketing.md which is part of Business.md In your variant links to note’s sources will be sorted alphabetically not grouped. So we will have just a list of files with links without logical sorting.
I have to think about it