BibNotes Formatter: New Plugin to Export and Format Annotations from Zotero into Obsidian

Ok, that should be doable.

When/if you are working on the direct export from the native reader, are you thinking of including highlighted images since they are stored in the default data directory of ‘Zotero\storage’? This would be really neat imho :slight_smile:

Yes, it is on my to-do list, but I have not looked yet at how these figures are exported. If they are stored in the zotero/storage folder and this is clearly signposted within the exported json file, then it should be fine.

Thank you for clarifying the updating process !

So to ease the updating process - and if I understand correctly - it would be best to make our comments e.g. without indents or bullet points as new paragraphs, to distinguish from titles, highlights, and comments (that were exported from the pdf).

I guess this also means that if we add a block reference to the end of a paragraph (^blockID), the block will not be updated? If so, that’s great.

If you want to add a “summary section” that should not be over-written, this would need to be in the “Extracted Annotation”. I can see this may not work for your use-case, so I may need to think about an alternative.

I see. For now I will put it on top of the Extracted Annotation section. But for ease of use and clarity, I would love to be able to have most of the metadata at the end of the note for example, or have the liberty to put a summary section on top of the file.

The code could perhaps skip everything that is not under the headings ## Basic Metadata, ## Extracted Annotations, ## Detailed Metadata.

E.g.

Title

Basic Metadata

Authors, year, journal

Summary

Extracted Notes

(sections using the color grouping feature we discussed before)

Detailed Metadata

Regarding updating the bibtex (for now we need to relaunch obsidian), perhaps you could look at the code of the citation plugin? It has a command to “refresh” bibtex and works like a charm.

Keep us posted on the next version - I am really looking forward to it. I might be able to replace mdnotes completely.

Yes, that is correct.
The way the updating works at the moment is that the code keeps the existing note (if this exists), over-writes everything above the “## Notes” (in the next version) or “## Extracted Annotations” (in the existing version). Basically everything above is over-written, everything below is updated. A more flexible structure like the one you outlined (with some metadata at the top and some at the bottom) would be desirable but to implement it I will need to rethink how the updating of the note works.

I’m adding the feature to allow importing comments stored in Zotero, and it will be part of the next version.

2 Likes

Awesome. I love where this is heading.

The way the updating works at the moment is that the code keeps the existing note (if this exists), over-writes everything above the “## Notes” (in the next version) or “## Extracted Annotations” (in the existing version). Basically everything above is over-written, everything below is updated.

In case I am not the only one that got confused by the updating process, this would be a great way to summarise it in the readme on github.

I’m adding the feature to allow importing comments stored in Zotero, and it will be part of the next version.
Great!

1 Like

@stpag I am putting H4 in place of {{highlight}} for yellow color but still can’t get any results

also for inserting NA when there is not data remove italic markdown *, because when changing template and put them in yaml it causes an invalid yaml

I cannot replicate the issue (it behaves as planned on my end). Could you open an issue on GitHub and export from Zotero the json with one or more sources that are not behaving as planned?

1 Like

do you mean send you the whole json file? or export the note? if it is the note it is easy because it is a zotero export

on zotero select the source you are trying to export → right click → export item → create Better BibTex Json with only that source. No need to send the entire bibliography

1 Like

I set import path for json file which exported from Zotero, and export path correctly( i suppose every setting is OK /LoL),but it does not work,the plug in is the latest version.

1 Like

I really love this project - thank you. I am starting to heavily use this plugin now

how can I pay you?

also can you show me where to find a copy of the “admonition” template in markdown with the placeholders it uses so I can tweak it to make my own custom template?

also (I am new) can Dataview query/tabulate the metadata section, or do I need to duplicate some of the fields in the top YAML section for Dataview to work?

Hi @stpag, do you have an idea of when you will release the new version of your plugin this week? It’s to know more or less so that I do not change my workflow too much until the new update

2 Likes

The admonition template is currently stored here.
You would have to remove the quotation marks, the “+” and replace \n with a new line. I will upload a md file next.

Dataview accepts both values in the yaml or inline fields (Data Annotation - Dataview). You can either add a yaml to your template or simply tweak the template so that it accepts inline fields (e.g. author:: {{author}}

1 Like

I have introduced quite a lot of changes (see changelog) so I want to do a bit more testing before I release it. Probably towards the end of the week. But none of the changes are breaking changes.

Could you open an issue on GitHub and upload a sample library exported by Zotero (one reference is enough) so that I can test it on my end?

I will add in the next version a command to check if the link to the json file provided in the setting is a valid one

I saw it - it made me even more excited for the upcoming release! A lot of great new features and fixes. Best of luck with the testing.

Regarding

only add non-overlapping sentences (“Save Entire Note”)

Will this make it possible to only update the notes section? and have a a separate manual summary section or added metadata section (not one filled in by zotero, but one filled in manually, for example to set the type of study::, a quick summary::, etc, with inline datafield)

hi @stpag - is there a reason when the filename is {{title}} that the spaces are removed from the title (all the words run together)?