BibNotes Formatter: New Plugin to Export and Format Annotations from Zotero into Obsidian

I think that the reason why the underscores were removed from the name of the file is because I added a function that removed non-alphanumeric characters from the file name is order to avoid running across special characters that cannot be included in the file name. I can see from your example that my implementation was an over-kill. I will find an alternative that does not remove underscores.

Thanks so much. Yes, Another 1, or even 2 levels up would be wonderful!

it also ignores parenthesis just for the record to debugged later

that i was guessing and it think your solution is good enough, i just think it is a good idea to separate a note for pure synching and use another note to analyze , comment and mess around with what got imported using "Link to block "and embed it. just need a solution to do this in mass. I see a lot of potential in this feature of obsidian, unfortunately I don’t a lot of plugins use this feature to their advantage.

I think you can do something like this with a custom template.
Let’s say that your exported note is named after the citekey {{citekey}}. In the template you could have a section like:

##Comments
![[{{citekey}}_Comments]]

this addition note would not created automatically by the plugin, but once you generate it by clicking on it, it would be embedded in the lit note

Thanks. I thought that parentheses where not allowed in file names on Windows but I was wrong

1 Like

sorry for late reply i was away from computer.
i know , the problem is not format of the note but separation of notes base of the color again (which already exists in zotfile outlet). writing the links automatically or manually is the easy part. as you said i can already link them using the Template.

sorry , I just realized that your plugin imports color separated notes from zotfile. for some bizarre reason I was assuming that the notes again sorted chronologically and that was the basis of the confusion in out discussion. now I just can simply use note refractor if i need a separate note. altho it is going to mess with updating process.

i am also trying to transform all my yellow highlights to level 4 heading via the setting. but H4 {{highlight}} doesn’t work, neither "H4" {{highlight}}. what i am doing wrong?

You should just write “H4” without {{highlight}}.
{{highlight}} is a placeholder if you want to put custom text before and/or after the highlighted sentence. In theory you could also do “#### {{highlight}}” but this will retain the citation within brackets.

1 Like

I am trying to make the {{keywords}} attribute sync with Obsidian tags. Is there a way to have the formatter put a # in front of each of the tags it pulls from zotero so that they become tags in obsidian?

1 Like

I have hard-coded the option of turning the exported tags into notes [[{{keyword}}]]. I will also hardcode the possibility of putting the # symbol in front

1 Like

I copied the bibnotes-master folder in my plugin folder, but I am not able to enable it. IT is saying “Failed to load plugin bibnotes”. Can someone help?

You only need to copy the main.js and manifest.json found in the latest release (Releases · stefanopagliari/bibnotes · GitHub)

1 Like

I have the same issue with “.” I use this to demarcate authors.

It would also be nice to have the ability to format the authors and keywords list, so that Dataview recognizes multiple values. This would mean to have “,” as a separator and to be able to wrap each entry in quotes. So “[[author1]]”, “[[author]]” would be possible

Ok, that should be doable.

When/if you are working on the direct export from the native reader, are you thinking of including highlighted images since they are stored in the default data directory of ‘Zotero\storage’? This would be really neat imho :slight_smile:

Yes, it is on my to-do list, but I have not looked yet at how these figures are exported. If they are stored in the zotero/storage folder and this is clearly signposted within the exported json file, then it should be fine.

Thank you for clarifying the updating process !

So to ease the updating process - and if I understand correctly - it would be best to make our comments e.g. without indents or bullet points as new paragraphs, to distinguish from titles, highlights, and comments (that were exported from the pdf).

I guess this also means that if we add a block reference to the end of a paragraph (^blockID), the block will not be updated? If so, that’s great.

If you want to add a “summary section” that should not be over-written, this would need to be in the “Extracted Annotation”. I can see this may not work for your use-case, so I may need to think about an alternative.

I see. For now I will put it on top of the Extracted Annotation section. But for ease of use and clarity, I would love to be able to have most of the metadata at the end of the note for example, or have the liberty to put a summary section on top of the file.

The code could perhaps skip everything that is not under the headings ## Basic Metadata, ## Extracted Annotations, ## Detailed Metadata.

E.g.

Title

Basic Metadata

Authors, year, journal

Summary

Extracted Notes

(sections using the color grouping feature we discussed before)

Detailed Metadata

Regarding updating the bibtex (for now we need to relaunch obsidian), perhaps you could look at the code of the citation plugin? It has a command to “refresh” bibtex and works like a charm.

Keep us posted on the next version - I am really looking forward to it. I might be able to replace mdnotes completely.