Better Word Count Plugin - count words in selected text

Have you ever wanted more control over your word count?
Well, now you can have that control with Better Word Count.

Anyway, I needed it, so I made it and you can have it too.
It replaces the core plugin counting the words of selected text when text is selected.

Here is the repo: Better Word Count

5 Likes

Doesn’t work in preview mode.

Looks like Better Word Count no longer works with the latest Obsidian update. I am unable to see the word count of the selected text anymore.

You might like the file Info plugin
Installable through BRAT
Though, again, the word count for selected text doesn’t work in LP

I just checked this out in v0.13.19 and it does not show any count at all, total or selected.

1 Like

I have the same problem, my status bar is without word count even without Display/Source/LivePreview toggling. Is there any way to “refresh” status bar?

On 0.13.19 Live Preview

No plugin; exactly the same as Better Word Count enabled:

File Info Panel (Selected Text not working in Live Preview):

DragKing will work on Selected Text:

1 Like

S@hairball, @dalibord : Same Problem here :frowning:

Cannot get plugin to work · Issue #33 · lukeleppan/better-word-count · GitHub

1 Like

File Info Panel selected text does now work in Live Preview

1 Like

Until this plugin works again, on iOS/iPadOS (and Mac after I update) I’m using a word-counting shortcut via the Obsidian Shortcut Launcher community plugin. Details: https://github.com/lukeleppan/better-word-count/issues/30#issuecomment-1025241909

Prior to that I edited the notes whose word count I cared about in a separate app.

1 Like

For me, the status bar is locked on the “Alternate Status Bar Text.” I cannot get it to display the “Status Bar Text.”

Is this part of this plug-in being broken?

I wish this plugin worked with the live editor!

1 Like

Thank you for making this @lukeleppan – hopefully one day this functionality will be baked directly into Obsidian :crossed_fingers:

I love this plugin and it had been working great until I reached the end of a 40,000 word file and was deleting content that I was moving elsewhere or no longer required.

The daily count will then not adjust the word count for deletions. However, the number of words in the document would adjust immediately, without issue.

This seems to spill over into issues with copy pasting in smaller files after as well, but that’s harder to reproduce.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I have the latest all the things.

Is described here also. Trouble counting words in very large files? · Issue #99 · lukeleppan/better-word-count · GitHub