Better graph-view scrolling on trackpads

Hey, I’m on MacOS, and it’d be great if a two-finger swipe moved the graph view around instead of zooming it. Zooming could then be implemented with pinching gestures (similar to how it works on phones). These two things would give Obsidian a much more native feel!

12 Likes

I’m on linux, and I’ve got the same problem with my trackpad. I think that swipe vs. pinch idea is pretty standard.

1 Like

I’m not sure that gesture is something we can get access to. If you open chrome and perform the pinch gesture, what happens? Does the whole interface become bigger/smaller?

If you open chrome and perform the pinch gesture, what happens? Does the whole interface become bigger/smaller?

No, only the page content gets magnified, as one would expect. And it is some feature beside the magnifier as well, because the magnifier stays at 100% all the time.

EDIT: After a quick research, I found the following code

const webFrame = require("electron").webFrame;
webFrame.setVisualZoomLevelLimits(1, 3);

Which allows me to zoom on the whole interface (as if the sidebars and navigation bars were parts of the content, too). Now just to figure out how to specify that those should have fixed size and position…

Just throwing my hat in for pinch-to-zoom as well, almost made another topic without searching first.

In my case, it’s a MS Surface Pro 3.

This was first thing that irked me a little while using the graph view with the trackpad. I hope this gets implemented, it’ll be a nice QoL update and make it feel more like a native mac app.

+1 for this

1 Like

+1 for this.

Before mobile apps are released, I didn’t know that scrolling around with graph view on android/iPad can be such a pleasure to do. The drag-to-scroll on mac feels like a pain now. Wish to get this feature implemented.

1 Like

+1 for this.
I use obsidian mostly on my mac, and its so uncomfortable.
This change would be awesome!

+1!
Besides that, absolutely love the app!

Hi! I just noticed Excalidraw plugin uses the trackpad two-finger-scroll/pinch-to-zoom gestures properly. Can this mean it would be feasible to implement this feature in Obsidian’s Graph pane as well?

1 Like

+1 for navigating with trackpad, and pinching gestures to zoom in/out

+1 for navigating trackpad and pinching gestures to zoom in and out. Most other canvas programs default to this functionality, so the lack of this provides just enough friction for me to dislike using the graph function, which is one of the coolest features of Obsidian in my opinion.

+1 for navigating with trackpad and pinching to zoom