Best practices for making pages out of words in-line with an article?

What I’m trying to do

I download a lot of articles from the web and mark them up for topic pages and hashtags. The fastest/cleanest way is to create/link a page out of a [[keyword]] in-line with the original text, so I can flesh out the subject and see who all has mentioned it.

The problem comes in when people use variations on a term, or a plural, or different phrasing. Also in my own notes, I may have to use different parts of speech, but I dont want to link to several pages which are just variations on the same word.

E.g. If someone writes about the “Psychology of fear.” I could do this: [[Psychology]] of [[fear]], if those two things are topics or [[Psychology of fear]]. All good. But someone could write “Psychological” or use a different phrasing.

Another example might be the topic, “Assimilation,” and that would be the page name [[Assimilation]], but the word could come up as “assimilate” or “assimilated”, etc. Would you then write [[Assimilation]] in-line next to "assimilate? e.g. This event had an effect on his desire to assimilate. [[Assimilation]]

This gets clunky and hard to read fast, so then sometimes I put the pages separately at the top/bottom of article… but I’m wondering if there’s a better way to deal with this? Does anybody here have this issue?

Sometimes w/ a plural I can do [[landscape]]s, but that’s not that elegant either.

Thanks!

2 Likes

You can set aliases in the metadata.

File: Assimilation.md

---
aliases: ["assimilate", "assimilated"]
---

Edit mode would look like this:
This event had an effect on his desire to [[Assimilation|assimilate]].

Preview mode would look like this:
This event had an effect on his desire to assimilate.
(the word assimilate being linked back to Assimilation.md)

Not exactly fast as you’d have to create the page for Assimilation and then list out the aliases, but it can get you where you want to be.

Hey, thanks. Wait a min, you can create aliases? I’m a little unclear on what you did—does the pipe character signify something related to a code block?

---
---

Sorry a bit of a newbie… what did you do there? If I were to write, He had [[Assimilation | assimilated]]. It would come out “He had assimilated”, but it would reference back to “Assimilation”?

Thanks!

Enable Show frontmatter in the Editor options

Create file called Assimilate

At the very top of the file (nothing above it) enter the following:

---
---

(Must be 3 dashes. Anything can go below it)

Go into any other file and type [[assim and you should see multiple options to select that all point back to Assimilate.md

2 Likes

this is brilliant! thanks so much!