Best practice when using files: storing and organizing

I have collected a lot of files for my personal research. The files are currently saved on my computer and backed up to a cloud service.

I would like to use Obsidian to collect my thoughts and organize my work connected to these files. I have no problems linking to the external folder from Obsidian. Another solution would be to save the relevant files inside the Obsidian folder. Should I save the files inside the knowledge base? Perhaps within a dedicated sub folder? What would be best practice for my files?

In terms of organizing them in the explorer, that is really up to you. You should set a folder in settings for where you would like attachments to be stored by default. If you don’t do this they will go directly into the vault root when you, for example, drag and drop an image into a note.

If you look around the forum, you will see it is very common to create a table of contents for related things, often referred to as an MOC (map of content). There are plenty of posts explaining that process, and it is definitely a good habit to get into as it is more flexible than relying on organization in the explorer.

Embedding files is a good practice to quickly compile updated content from notes or files with just a link to the file with an exclamation point before it.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. This forum is a great place so you will be just fine, I’m sure.

2 Likes

Very helpful. Thank you very much! :slightly_smiling_face: