Best courses and resources to learn Obsidian?

What are the best courses and resources to learn Obsidian?

I plan on taking Nick Milo’s workshop down the line but it’s out of my budget for now. Are there any other courses I can take?

1 Like

Hi,

I like Brian Jenks videos a lot. All for free :smiley:

2 Likes

Сool and well designed course in Russian. The third version came out, unlike the long abandoned courses of the first wave.

The only thing you really need to know to use Obsidian is markdown. Well, Obsidian has some unique syntax, so you might have to look at the sandbox vault or the Help Docs for that.

The graph view, frontmatter, and tagging features might be a bit confusing at first, but frontmatter is also a markdown feature, so there is a lot of online documentation on it. And with the graph view and tagging, its functions become clear once you start playing around with it.

A course might be helpful, but for me (and it’s probably just me) simply using Obsidian and playing around with it helped me ‘learn’ it a lot faster. I say ‘learn’ rather than learn, just because you don’t really learn how to use it, you just get used to using it. Right when you download Obsidian, you can start writing right away—you just have to get used to it.

It was confusing for me when I opened it up for the first time, but then I just started doing things in it, and I realized, “huh, this is actually pretty straightforward,” and my writing began right there. I suppose I had learned Obsidian in 20 minutes, but it took me maybe a week to really ‘learn’ it, which is when I figured out how to organize a ‘system’.

I guess what I’m saying is, it might be faster and easier to explore Obsidian and learn it that way instead of paying for a course on it. And when you have questions, you can look them up on Google or YouTube, and if that doesn’t work, even ask questions here.

4 Likes

I recommend just typing “Obsidian” in YouTube and watch the hundreds of hours of content. Many people have created playlists on a variety of topics that may be of interest to you.

Hey BetterVessel!

I would say it depends on what you mean by “learn Obsidian”. If you’re looking for information on how to best use and manipulate the software, then the previous answers are great.

But if your intention is to learn how to get the most of Obsidian, then what you want to learn is more PKM (Personal Knowledge Management) than Obsidian. And this… well this is something else.

Besides, the traditional Google Search and personal exploration, I would suggest studying the history of PKM: how intellectuals and lifelong learners dealt with the ever growing volume of information, especially since Gutenberg. There is a book by Ann Blair called Too Much to Know which is informative, especially chap. 2: “Note-Taking as Information Management”

Hope this helps!

1 Like