Basic forum usage: posting page/code snippets and images?

Things I have tried

Searching posts and help on both this forum and discord.

What I’m trying to do

Looking for some basic guidance on how to post to this forum. There are so many great threads full of helpful code/page snippets but I can’t figure out how to do this myself in the forum editor. Ditto with images. There does not seem to be a preview function so I’ve been reluctant to try out my guesses.
I’d be very grateful for advice on how to post these please:

• raw markdown eg. editing view page snippets
  • reading mode view snippets
  • images

Discourse, the forum software, has a format bar to give you buttons for formatting:

If you can’t see it, you can toggle it by tapping the “hamburger” (three horizontal lines) menu button.

Code blocks are created by “fencing” the raw text you want to display in three backticks:
```

If you want to display raw text in line, wrap the text in a single `.

Image syntax is ![some description](link/to/image). But if you use the upload image button, it should take care of that for you:

Thanks for taking the time to write this detailed response @ryanjamurphy , that is very helpful of you.
That’s answered all my questions and I’ve also found the preview now, which was just hidden behind a blue
'Welcome to Obsidian Forum' notice next to the edit window.
Help much appreciated!

1 Like

Good on you @ryanjamurphy.
This or something similar should probably be stickied on the help forum.
Along with the things people can do to try to help themselves before posting for help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.