Bases Kanban: manual card ordering within a column / drag and drop (persisted to a property)

Use case or problem

I’d been eagerly awaiting 1.14 because I’d seen a Kanban view for Bases on the roadmap. I’ve been using the obsidian-kanban plugin for a while, and while it does the job well enough, it’s never felt snappy and the drag-and-drop on mobile leaves something to be desired. The project is also mid maintainer-handoff, so the idea of moving to something supported by the core team got me excited. I installed 1.14 today, reconfigured the frontmatter in a bunch of my notes to work with Bases, started dragging cards between columns (so smooth!) and fell in love.

That is, until I hit the one thing I can’t live without: there’s no way to make vertical position meaningful. Within a column, order is whatever the view’s Sort setting says - a drop only changes the group property. I’m a pretty obsessive Kanban user (Trello, Jira, Notion, several others) and this is the first board I’ve seen without it. I drag across columns to change state, but to prioritize what might be 10–15 notes in a column, I drag up and down. That’s one of my most frequent uses of a Kanban board, and today it’s not possible.

Proposed solution

When a card is dropped within a column, write an order property to the note the same way the group property is written on a cross-column drop — effectively a “manual” sort option for the Kanban view that persists to a property (e.g. order, configurable). Cards without the property could fall back to the view’s existing Sort. A few community Bases-kanban plugins already do exactly this, so the data model clearly works; having it native, snappy, and on mobile is the dream.

Current workaround

Adding a numeric property (kanban_order: 10, 20, 30…) to each note and sorting the view by it. It works, but reprioritizing means editing numbers in the table view or the properties panel instead of dragging — enough friction that I’ve gone back to the community Kanban plugin for now.

Related feature requests

I searched and couldn’t find an existing request for in-column card ordering in Bases Kanban — happy to merge into one if I missed it.

I’m a huge fan of Obsidian. No other tool comes close for the impact on my productivity, and I pay for Sync to support the team. I understand Obsidian isn’t open source, but if there’s any way I can help make this happen, let me know.

Use case or problem

The only way to sort pages is to pick an option of sorting(e. g. created time, property)

Proposed solution

Make the sorting drag and drop sorting. In order to make the most prioritized tasks in the kanban on the top

+1

IMO, what makes Kanban boards powerful are there ability to organize tasks quickly.

Organizing high priority cards to the top is pretty common pattern.

I support this topic and I wish someday to have it on mobile.

Plus, I’m happy to see the kanban tag, I hope it helps grouping the different FRs, as only one, asking for all features of the unmaintained Kanban - Obsidian Plugin , is not accepted.

I would love to have this as well! Love the addition of kanban in general.

I came here to post this exact feature request – I’ve been using the Kanban plugin for column-based chapters and sorting by scene number – if we could just set the sort order of a column to a property and have the same drag-and-drop dynamic adjustment, it’d be perfect!

Drag and drop ordering is absolutely necessary for me as well! I’m a visual artist and having to go in and edit a property just to reorder something will drive my train of thought off the rails completely. I didn’t realise this feature is missing because I’m still using the Kanban plugin due to the unintuitive way Bases handles grouping.

Those two things are essential fixes IMO.

Yes please I just bought Catalyst for native Kanban view and assumed this would be part of it. I get it’s still Beta but really hope manual card ordering is part of the public version.

I have an idea to add ‘top’ in the sort. Only these few top files support free sorting, which can greatly shorten the code.