Backup / Sync (alternatives)?

What I’m trying to do

First I want to clarify that I’m not very tech-savvy, and I have a very poor understanding about clouds and sync and such.
My issue is I’m always worried about losing my Obsidian files if something happened to my PC (if it gets destroyed or just gets new errors from being old, etc.). I would like to have a sort of, live backup of my notes that would be remotely accessible.

Usually I would simply upload to MEGA or something, but I don’t think it updates as I type in Obsidian? And I don’t want to reupload my files often.
Another option of course would be an external hard drive, but again I don’t want to transfer files often.
I tried looking at Obsidian Sync alternatives, but I only see discussion about accessing vaults on other devices, and nothing about keeping vaults safe.

Things I have tried

I’ve tried looking for Obsidian Sync alternatives (but people focus only on sharing across devices), as well as cloud storage but I don’t understand if they save my vaults live.
I’m a little lost on what else to search.

Because Obsidian saves your notes as text files, you can include them in your normal backups.

If you’re not already backing up your files in general, now is the perfect time to start!

Easy directions to setup local backups: https://web.archive.org/web/20200101015933/http://www.worldbackupday.com/en/

Links about online backups: http://www.worldbackupday.com/

For remote backups on Mac I use Arq with B2 storage. My notes are included in my normal backups.

Whatever you use for backups, it’s best that it be automated. Manual backups tend to be outdated backups.

1 Like

Thank you! After a little more googling, Backups is what I want. But is there anything that updates the files live or automatically? I can’t see any options for this.

If you have a Windows computer, you can put your vault on OneDrive. Then, you can edit the files directly in your vault, and it will save to the cloud.

Proper backup systems usually don’t work that way, as far as I know. They take snapshots of the whole set of files at intervals (usually in a way that doesn’t store full copies of files that haven’t changed). Obsidian auto-saves very often (something like every 2 seconds), so a fully live-updating system with snapshots would probably get out of hand.

As Bluemoondragon points out, you can store your vault in the folder of a sync service like OneDrive or Dropbox. That’s not a proper backup solution, but it can be used with one, and it will include some recent file history, so that may be worth looking into. I don’t know about OneDrive, but Dropbox’s file history isn’t good for restoring files in bulk — it’s more oriented toward single files (tho maybe it can do folders which might be good enough).

Dropbox works well on windows. It saves it even with an history. So you can revert files to an older version if needed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.