Automatic Wikipedia Links

Super simple, or I hope so, I’ll probably take a crack at this but I’ve never made an Obsidian plugin before so I’ll also leave it here!

essentially just auto-resolve links prefixed with “:” to some other resource outside your vault, e.g.

[[wiki:Dog]] links to Dog - Wikipedia
[[dict:Dog]] links to Dog - Wiktionary

I couldn’t find this anywhere so I apologise if it’s a dupe

13 Likes

turns out this concept has a name and it’s called “interwiki”, I just wasn’t using the correct search terms.

1 Like

Did you get anywhere with this?

I second this request. Like in the original definition, simply have a top level note ‘InterWiki.md’ with a table of all the locally defined shortcuts.
It could have 4 fields:

1. shortcut - which is what you use for writing, eg foo:bar
  2. link - to the (remote) destination, where %s (or similar) stands for the the link target bar
  3. style - optional, if the plain style <a href=foo.site/%s.html>foo:bar</a> is not pretty enough, e.g. insert extra text, style, icons etc
  4. some description of the foo site
1 Like

I second this idea of InterWiki mapping. Would like to see a plug in or a built-in mechanism.

Hello. How can I get a backlink to my website from Wikipedia? There are backlinks with the 301 method. Do you think this is useful?

It would be very easy to do this with Templater:

1. Press a hotkey.
  2. Templater opens a Prompt.
  3. Use the result and DuckDuckGo’s free Instant Answers API to get the URL, specifically their “!bang” redirect. It already has Wikipedia and Dictionary built in.
  4. Insert the link into your note.
1 Like

How is this not already a thing?

i love this idea (ps: i have a little creative exercise i like to do where i turn wikipedia text into rap songs and publish them online lol…i would totally have to use this plugin for that, along with so many other things)

I’m considering writing a plugin for this during obsidian October 2022

1 Like

I’ve submitted it as a feature request for the Wikipedia plug-in.

There already is one on the Media DB plugin here.

1 Like