Auto pair markdown code syntax does not work on other keyboards than US (on MacOS)

Hello,

This bug as been discussed on the following thread:

To sum up: auto pair markdown code syntax does not work with Keyboard set on language other than US on MacOs.

Could you please fix this bug, this feature is so usefull.

Thank you.

1 Like

Please follow the bug report template.

Steps to reproduce

To reproduce this bug install a keyboard like the Norwegian or French layout, and do the following:

• Switch to the national keyboard you’ve got installed
  • Open the sandbox vault
  • Ensure you’ve got the dead key for the backtick, by first hitting the `, and needing to hit the space bar before the backtick appears
  • Select some random text, and hit the backtick key

Expected result

• That the selected text is surrounded by as many backticks as the number of times you hit the backtick key

Actual result

• The selected text is wiped out and replaced with the backtick(s)

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.5.3
	Installer version: v1.5.3
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 18.7.0: Tue Jun 22 19:37:08 PDT 2021; root:xnu-4903.278.70~1/RELEASE_X86_64 18.7.0
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: adapt to system
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none
1 Like

I’ve got multiple keyboards installed on my MacOS, and when I switch to another keyboard which doesn’t have the backtick (or grave accent) as a dead key, I immediately get the expected result.

I’ve now searched a little related to this, and according to About the backtick on a French Mac keyboard, you can seemingly install a tool called Ukulele and do some magic to make it not be a dead-key.

I’ve not yet installed it, and I’m not sure how to actually type stuff using the dead key if you do the modifications as suggested. I’ll come back to you with more information if I get around to installing it.

1 Like