Are Desktop & Mobile Using Different App Versions for Plugins & Themes?

I’m running into an odd difference in behavior between desktop (macOS) and mobile (iOS/iPadOS). I’m not entirely sure what’s going on, and if it’s intended behavior or a bug I should report, and wanted to see if anyone else has seen this or is aware of it. I’ve searched around here and on Discord, and haven’t found mention of it yet…

My Setup

I primarily use Obsidian on mobile (iPhone/iPad), but occasionally fire it up on a desktop Mac. I use git (command line on desktop, via Working Copy on mobile) to sync my vault, as I peel some parts of it off automatically for online publishing.

What’s Going On

Recently, I noticed that Minimal Theme will no longer update on mobile, but it will update on desktop.

Things I Have Tried

• Deleting and re-installing the theme. On mobile pulls down an older version, 6.1.11, but desktop will pull down the most recent version, 6.2.1.
  • Deleting and re-installing Obsidian on iOS. This doesn’t change the behavior observed above.
  • Creating an empty vault. This doesn’t change the behavior observed above.

What’s Happening?

The only thing I’ve been able to guess here is that the mobile app is reporting a very different app version than the desktop app. When Minimal Theme was moved from 6.1.11 to 6.1.12, the minAppVersion was also bumped from 0.16.0 to 1.1.0 (see this commit). Checking in :gear: > Options > About, my mobile apps report that they’re at v1.4.1 and my desktop app reports v1.1.9… But perhaps the mobile app is actually reporting a different version number (something less than 1.1.0) for theme/plugin purposes?

Other plugins are installed (and update) at least up to a minAppVersion of 1.0.0, so mobile must be reporting at least this version.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is Obsidian mobile reporting a different, lower app version than Obsidian desktop? Is this related to the introduction of Canvass (in which case I assume that the internal app version will sync up again when Canvass comes to mobile)?

For desktop the version used for this check is the one you see reported as current version.
On mobile the API version is used (also in Settings > About)

And yes, the public version of the mobile app is a bit behind the desktop app.

Got it. Looks like the API version on mobile is v1.0.3 (as of this writing), so that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Does that mean, that Minimal Theme might behave differently on the current desktop version vs. the current iOS version (both released, not the beta)?

If yes, that would probably explain some very strange behaviour with the YAML frontmatter I have on my devices, but nobody could not replicate so far.

Possible, but that might also be related to a different change we have made.
Frontmatter will be displayed differently in 1.1.0, more changes to come in future versions.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.