Archiving the Announcements category; the new Obsidian Blog and Changelog are live!

Today, we are launching the official Obsidian Blog and Obsidian Changelog which are hosted on the Obsidian site. These include the archive of past announcements and app updates and will be the place to visit going forward. We’ve even made some new RSS feeds you can follow.

With this, we are now archiving the Announcements category in this forum. Thanks for tracking releases and announcements here, and see you on the blog and the changelog!

39 Likes

Not sure if I’m the only one, but I really appreciated being able to track new Obsidian releases & announcements from notifications here on the forum. After participating here for 3 years, it’s my go-to place for all things Obsidian.

Could we get new blog posts & releases auto-posted here as well, even just links? Opens up the possibility for people to then comment on and discuss these topics here in the Obsidian community.

5 Likes

You can always still discuss releases here by opening a help thread. There has never once been a reply to release announcements, except the devs adding additional detail. And that wouldn’t have really been the best place to discuss anyway.

For alerts, there are ways to subscribe to RSS and receive an email, or trigger some other alert.

There was never a reply to a release announcement because IIRC those threads were always locked. I’m sure there would have been replies if they wrere allowed.

That being said, this OP says the Announcements forum was simply archived and the official Obsidian Blog and Obsidian Changelog “include the archive of past announcements and app updates”…

But those do not contain the full documentation from the announcements posts.

For example:

That is the post for 1.2.7.

The announcements post contained a lot more information, including 8 Misc. improvements, 18 Bug fixes, and this important notice:

The Installer has been updated to use Electron v24 (requires downloading the latest Installer from Download - Obsidian). This Electron version drops support for Windows 7/8/8.1.

Removing the ability to install the app on entire versions of Windows seems like kind of a big deal, yet I can find no current mention of this.

Is there somewhere that the old Announcements posts still exist in their entirety on any of the Obsidian sites?

1 Like

my apologies the relative page is this Obsidian 1.2 Desktop (Public) - Obsidian

and we used an older version of the announcement that didn’t include the migration to an electron version that doesn’t support win 7/8 anymore.

I was wondering what had happened to announcements. I thought maybe there hadn’t been updates in months because I saw nothing in the forums. Searching here found me this post, and now I know where to find what I’d been missing.

How are people supposed to know where this info is posted? There seems to be nothing in the app linking there, nothing in the help docs, and nothing pinned in the forum. Maybe you could add a top level link to the blog from here and/or from the Obsidian app, maybe in the window pulled up by the (?) help button?

2 Likes

This thread was pinned for a month.
When the app is updated, a tab is shown with the changes.
There is a link within the app to go to the changelog.

1 Like