AppleScript in Obsidian

Use case/problem & Proposed solution

Hi! Please consider implementing AppleScript in Obsidian so that it works with Things’ Quick Entry with Autofill. Here’s a link to Cultured Code’s AppleScript documentation - Using AppleScript - Things Support, and to their Quick Entry with Autofill feature - https://culturedcode.com/things/support/articles/2803569#adding-new-to-dos-with-links-and-text.

Any of your developers can also contact them through their contact form if they need specific information.

4 Likes

I don’t think you’ll see this very soon, although generic AppleScript support would be awesome.

In the meantime folks can build their own AppleScript plugins using the run-applescript NPM package: run-applescript - npm

DEVONlink does this: GitHub - ryanjamurphy/DEVONlink-obsidian: Open notes indexed in DEVONthink in, well, DEVONthink

Use case or problem

The todo-app Things 3 can use the “current URL” for some apps like Safari and Mail to contextually capture a new todo. It would be awesome if this also worked with Obsidian, where it would automatically get the currently active pane’s “Obsidian URL” (obsidian://<note>).

For this to work, Obsidian for macOS would need to have an AppleScript interface (click “Quick Entry with Autofill” and scroll down to “Compatibility”).

After some Googling, I found out this is not necessarily trivial to do within an Electron app. However, the Electron docs indicate it should be as simple as adding a custom URL scheme (which Obsidian already has).

Proposed solution

An AppleScript interface is added to the Obsidian macOS app so that other apps (like Things 3’s Quick Capture with AutoFill) can “read” the current URL and other context from the application window.

Current workaround (optional)

None that I’ve found so far.

Related feature requests (optional)

1 Like