Apple Music to Obsidian

As a new years resolution, I decided to give Obsidian another go; so far I am impressed with how the plugin ecosystem has developed since my last attempt to use the app.

One of the categories of data I want to capture in my 2nd Brain is music that I like.

The goal of automating this process is to streamline the workflow and make it easier to get all of this information into Obsidian without having to manually copy and paste everything.

There is a plugin called Obsidian Media DB that is very useful, but ultimately there are gaps in the metadata that it will capture, resulting in me building my own approach. To accomplish this, I created a Shortcut to capture metadata relating to the current song playing in Apple Music.

The Shortcut will create a new note about the song incorporating the metadata that I require to create an archive of music.

Music metadata

With the use of the Dataview plugin and the Minimal theme I can create a dashboard of the captured song data that also allows me to play the song directly from Apple Music.

Music Gallery

--- cssClasses: cards, cards-cover, cards-1-1, table-max tags: music --- ```dataview TABLE WITHOUT ID link(file.link,title) as "Title",artist as Artists, ("![|100](" + cover + ")") as Cover,year as Year, genre as Genre,("[▶️](" + url + ")") as Play FROM "Media/Music" SORT artist asc ```

As part of the process, I also save the song to a Playlist within Apple Music.

It is early days as yet, but I am liking Obsidian’s ability to quickly capture and catalogue music, movies, TV series, books and webpage information.

Automating the process of capturing data for use in Obsidian can save you a lot of time and effort and make it easier to keep your vault organised and up-to-date. Whether you use plugins, Shortcuts or custom code, there are plenty of options available for streamlining this process.

7 Likes

Not an Apple user, but I love this and I’m sure I can steal some ideas from it. Doing it from Shazam is such a neat idea. Great work! :100:

Really cool idea. Also not an Apple user but quite sure I can adapt some of these ideas for my own uses. Thanks for sharing.

If you’re looking for ways to manage your music-related notes or metadata in Obsidian, you might consider manual note creation or using related plugins if available.

By combining the power of Obsidian’s plugins and your custom automation tools, you’re creating an efficient and effective way to build and manage your music archive in your 2nd Brain. This approach showcases the flexibility and customization options that Obsidian offers, allowing you to tailor the application to your specific needs.

A good idea. I also want to share a tool with you: DRmare Audio Converter. It can help you convert Apple Music, Audible AA/AAX audiobooks, iTunes audiobooks, and other general audios to MP3, AAC, M4A, and other formats. A very powerful music converter.

Hey, windows user here as well. Does anyone know if there is a way to translate this automation into windows?

I’m looking to create a personal music database in Obsidian similar to what ijd65 has done here, with information about music releases being automatically fetched via a plugin or script (inserting the information manually is very time-consuming) and then to insert that information in placeholders in my notes.

Would appreciate any insights or ideas about ways of doing this

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your sharing. I am trying to capture the Apple music to my obsidian, but I failed on the gallery building with your code, do you have any idea, or did I miss something (I just directly copied the code, and nothing happened)?