Any lawyers or legal practitioners using Obsidian?

I work in-house, and have been playing around with Obsidian in single-player mode for PKM purposes. I confess I have not done much with substantive law. My content so far is mostly notes about status of matters and internal/organizational stuff. (I’ll be buying a commercial license as soon as I can figure out how to jump through the requisite hoops!)

I’m also very interested in using Obsidian to collaborate and publish an internal knowledge base, but I don’t think private sites are yet supported by Obsidian Publish. Here’s my feature request to that end: Enterprisey private publishing.

A good Obsidian web clipper would be a pretty killer feature for lawyers (also everyone else), IMHO. We read and want to save a lot of stuff. Somewhat like @LisaC117, I have used Evernote for that in the past, but I abandoned it years ago.

I’m also using Obsidian outside work to organize my thoughts, collect parts information, etc. for my latest robotics project. :robot:

2 Likes

So as a law firm, we are using the multi-user version and it is very helpful to work, and if anyone wants to know more about it then follow the law firm in dubai.

1 Like

you can use obsidian as a case reference management systen too. Here is a proof how i am using obsidian as a case reference management system?

i saw yor YouTube videos a lot. basically i learn obsidian from you. thanks a lot. The desk of a lawyer.

There are many ways lawyers can use Obsidian as primary note-taking appObsidian Note taking.

I’m a practicing attorney using Obsidian. Right now, I admit that my most common use-case is with Daily Notes, to which I link the day’s call notes, a work log, and some thoughts. I’m not getting a great deal out of the PKM aspect yet, but I do have a “Legalkasten” that I’m building out for concepts, terms, statutes, cases, etc. Part of the problem with going outside the Lexis/Westlaw sphere is that caselaw isn’t static. That means that you can get yourself into trouble if you rely too much on your own database when you should be using the paid databases that include continuous cite-checking features.

Nonetheless, I hate having to take notes on caselaw inside these platforms because the UX simply isn’t very good. My compromise has been to download PDFs, load them into DEVONthink, and then just create links back to the online source for future cite-checking. Of course, as I gradually use Obsidian more and more, I’m hoping to continue to transition more to actual knowledge management rather than the digital file hoarding that I’ve historically done.