Andy Matuschak mode - V2.7 (updated for 0.7+ new panes)

Is there an official API for this yet?

By API, do you mean plugin? If so, yes. Check the plugin marketplace available in the latest Insider build!

Yes i m ean plugin. Sorry that was a typo.

I mean I can image in the hotkey.
But I don’t see this as plugin.

Ah, it’s in a new third-party plugins section.

1 Like

The pop-up warning upon disabling safe-mode in third-party plugins makes me wonder whether installing this is safe or not.

See Security of the plugins.

Got it to work. Thanks!

I was going to try to avoid plugins to have a more secure Obsidian, but this particular plug-in seems particularly useful.

Does anyone know the security of this plug-in?

Thanks!

This thread is for the (old) custom css version, which you can copy-paste into your obsidian.css
It’s pretty secure, because it’s only presentation stuff.

The plugin itself is over on a different thread and also only touches presentation stuff. However it does so via the javascript API, so theoretically I could change it in future to access all your notes (possibly more if I knew what I was doing :laughing:). If you are so inclined you can audit the code yourself on github, or you can choose to trust me.

3 Likes

Hi Scott, Did you ever decide on using plug in’s or not? I would love to add this feature as a css snippet for the same reasons.

I’m using a few plug-ins.

Is it possible to have the title-container be in its original position (top) and only have them switch to the left-side when the pane is partially (like 70%) or completely outside of view?

If it is then please implement it if you can. Thank you!

(If not then just plain-old title-container on the top will also do since I’m on the css version).

1 Like

That is something I want to do eventually, but it wasn’t possible with CSS alone, so will have to be part of the plugin version in future

Did you get this to work yet? I have the same problemo.

Thanks for your effort. I just hope there was a way to arrange notes in this mode.
Also when I close a note or something like that happens the focus from one notes get lost and the slide goes somewhere between notes. I hope there was a way to keep the focus on the note too.

How about just moving the title-container to the top without having anything on the right? Can that be done with CSS?

Ward Cunningham may have been using a similar UI prior to it for other projects, but he unveiled the Smallest Federated Wiki at IndieWeb Camp 2011 in late June: 2011/Smallest Federated Wiki - IndieWeb. I don’t have a receipt to prove it, but I have to suspect that Andy’s version was certainly influenced by Cunningham’s work.

Mike Caulfield, subsequent author of the influential The Garden and the Stream: a Technopastoral, Iterated on the Smallest Federated Wiki and created a WordPress-based plugin shortly thereafter called Wikity that used some of the card-based UI that Obsidian comes with out of the box.

Both had some early influence on the UI-based research that the IndieWeb space has done since. For those interested, there’s also a sub-group within it focusing on digital gardens, commonplace books, Zettelkasten, etc. that can be found here: commonplace book - IndieWeb

3 Likes

Could someone kindly hint me to where I find information on how to actually install this Andy Matuschak Mode?

It’s a css snippet, so go to Setting>Appearance>CSS snippets and look for the little folder icon over on the right. Click that and make a new file in that folder, with the code from here. Call it AndyMode.css (or somesuch - keeping the .css), and save.
Then in CSS snippets, refresh the setting (the circling arrows icon). Then scroll down to AndyMode` and ‘Enable’ the snippet (ie load it). BOOM! you should be good to slide panes back and forth…
nb - apologies if this is patronisingly hand-holdy for your skill level :slight_smile:

2 Likes

no, this is not patronisingly hand-holdy at all, but just extremely friendly and courteous. Thanks you ever so much.

Could you kindly just link to the very text box I should take the code from?