Andy Matuschak mode - V2.7 (updated for 0.7+ new panes)

Ah, it’s in a new third-party plugins section.

1 Like

The pop-up warning upon disabling safe-mode in third-party plugins makes me wonder whether installing this is safe or not.

See Security of the plugins.

Got it to work. Thanks!

I was going to try to avoid plugins to have a more secure Obsidian, but this particular plug-in seems particularly useful.

Does anyone know the security of this plug-in?

Thanks!

This thread is for the (old) custom css version, which you can copy-paste into your obsidian.css
It’s pretty secure, because it’s only presentation stuff.

The plugin itself is over on a different thread and also only touches presentation stuff. However it does so via the javascript API, so theoretically I could change it in future to access all your notes (possibly more if I knew what I was doing :laughing:). If you are so inclined you can audit the code yourself on github, or you can choose to trust me.

3 Likes

Hi Scott, Did you ever decide on using plug in’s or not? I would love to add this feature as a css snippet for the same reasons.

I’m using a few plug-ins.

Is it possible to have the title-container be in its original position (top) and only have them switch to the left-side when the pane is partially (like 70%) or completely outside of view?

If it is then please implement it if you can. Thank you!

(If not then just plain-old title-container on the top will also do since I’m on the css version).

1 Like

That is something I want to do eventually, but it wasn’t possible with CSS alone, so will have to be part of the plugin version in future

Did you get this to work yet? I have the same problemo.

Thanks for your effort. I just hope there was a way to arrange notes in this mode.
Also when I close a note or something like that happens the focus from one notes get lost and the slide goes somewhere between notes. I hope there was a way to keep the focus on the note too.

How about just moving the title-container to the top without having anything on the right? Can that be done with CSS?

Ward Cunningham may have been using a similar UI prior to it for other projects, but he unveiled the Smallest Federated Wiki at IndieWeb Camp 2011 in late June: 2011/Smallest Federated Wiki - IndieWeb. I don’t have a receipt to prove it, but I have to suspect that Andy’s version was certainly influenced by Cunningham’s work.

Mike Caulfield, subsequent author of the influential The Garden and the Stream: a Technopastoral, Iterated on the Smallest Federated Wiki and created a WordPress-based plugin shortly thereafter called Wikity that used some of the card-based UI that Obsidian comes with out of the box.

Both had some early influence on the UI-based research that the IndieWeb space has done since. For those interested, there’s also a sub-group within it focusing on digital gardens, commonplace books, Zettelkasten, etc. that can be found here: commonplace book - IndieWeb

3 Likes

Could someone kindly hint me to where I find information on how to actually install this Andy Matuschak Mode?

It’s a css snippet, so go to Setting>Appearance>CSS snippets and look for the little folder icon over on the right. Click that and make a new file in that folder, with the code from here. Call it AndyMode.css (or somesuch - keeping the .css), and save.
Then in CSS snippets, refresh the setting (the circling arrows icon). Then scroll down to AndyMode` and ‘Enable’ the snippet (ie load it). BOOM! you should be good to slide panes back and forth…
nb - apologies if this is patronisingly hand-holdy for your skill level :slight_smile:

2 Likes

no, this is not patronisingly hand-holdy at all, but just extremely friendly and courteous. Thanks you ever so much.

Could you kindly just link to the very text box I should take the code from?

Cool!
The code is ^ up there, right at the top of this post. BUT… I just remembered that it death_au actually turned it into a plugin! So you can just go to ‘Community Plugins’ in Obsidian settings, search for ‘Andy Mode’, and boom, you’re golden.

Hi, been a while!

I’ve started to use the plugin version of this but I don’t see a way of doing this still.

If header is not rotated and stacking is enabled then the headers on the stacked panes can’t be seen. Is there a way the headers can only be rotated for stacked panes, and have the “unstacked” panes show the header on top like normally, the idea is very similar to the one I initially proposed.

It’d mean a great deal to be able to see the headers of the stacked tabs in this way. Please see to it if you can kindly add this feature to the plugin. Thank you so much!

I came back to obsidian (wasnt working for me, long story, but updates and canvas brought me back) and ive been trying to set up some things the way i had in the past, the parts that worked really well… i was glad knowing andy mode is now in the core(stacking tabs) but i just hit a roadblock: horizontal mode. Having a flow of notes in sequence (one on top of the other) was a game changer for me…

Any idea how to adapt the css for horizontal stacking in current obsidian??