Android/Gboard: Can't create new line in notes (Return/Enter)

I’m on non-beta version 12.7.11.507749191-release-arm64-v8a on a Pixel 6 Pro and I have this issue too.

I also have this issue on 12.7.11.507749191-release-arm64-v8a

Workaround: I am using Microsoft SwiftKey until this is solved

1 Like

Been seeing the same behavior as well for a few weeks (beta gboard, but now stable has also been updated).

@WhiteNoise If the version hasn’t rolled out to you, it can be downloaded from APKMirror.

Same experience here. Pixel 4 with default Gboard 12.7.11.507749191-release-arm64-v8a

I tried turning off options and it seems to be present when any of these are active:

• Autocorrect
  • Spellcheck
  • Grammar check
  • Suggestion strip

If you turn these all off you can get it to behave normally but this isn’t practical long term.

The issue isn’t present in other apps, egg the default Keep notes, so I’m guessing it’s something to do with either Obsidian’s smart commands or custom keyboard strip for markdown styles.

I tried an apk for 12.7.11.507749191 and it works fine for me.

Everybody having this problem please provide

1. you phone make/model
  2. the gboard version.
  3. a screen recording of this happening in a new vault.

Same problem here, with Google Gboard and Obsidian 1.4.3

This is me trying to put a line break after a Heading 1. I have to let an extra space in the end of the line to make it happen.

Media_230411_224354

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S20+

1 Like

Same here on Pixel 7 Pro; had to also disable the “Show suggestion strip” option. Would love to see this bug resolved!

I have the same issue. I was only unable to add a new line from the end of a line. I worked around it by putting “End” at the start and then creating space in the document by adding new lines above the “End”. Changing keyboards does work but is annoying.

Adding a space at the end of the line before pressing Enter reliably works for me on a Pixel 7 Pro. It’s an extra step but pretty painless IMO :man_shrugging:

Everybody having this problem please provide

1. you phone make/model
  2. the gboard version.
  3. a screen recording of this happening in a new vault.
  1. you phone make/model - Oneplus 11
  2. the gboard version - 12.8.12.514733254-release-arm64-v8a
  3. a screen recording of this happening in a new vault. assasa - YouTube
  1. you phone make/model - Samsung Galaxy S23+ (SM-S916U)
  2. the gboard version. - 12.7.11.507749191-release-arm64-v8a

As described above, pressing [Enter] doesn’t create a new line when the cursor is immediately after text.

Samsung keyboard works as expected.

Turning off the options suggested by philsheard did not fix my issue.

Adding a space between the end of a word and the cursor leads to [Enter] working.

Another workaround is placing the cursor anywhere else before or in the middle of a word and pressing [Enter].

Does it happen in source mode?

Does it happen here using chrome mobile?

1. Pixel 7 Pro
  2. Gboard 12.8.11.514733254-beta-arm64-v8a
  3. Obsidian Gboard Bug - YouTube

Roughly 2 weeks ago this started happening on my Pixel 5 too :frowning:
(Always takes me time to blame an Obsidian bug and come here, I always blame my own plugins first…)

Still happens in “Source mode” for me. Does not happen in your CodeMirror test case.

Device: Pixel 5 running Android 13
Gboard version 12.7.11.507749191-release-arm64-v8a

Happens in source mode too.

Same thing:
Gboard version: 12.8.12.514733254-release-arm64-v8a
Device: Lg v30 android 9

We still can’t reproduce with our devices. Let me know if you still have this problem when you get Obsidian 1.4.4

Same here:

Gboard version: 12.8.12.514733254-release-arm64-v8a
Device: Samsung Galaxy Note20

It happens in source mode

I can’t use the Samsung key board because it generates red dots and corrupts the entire file. Therefore I switched to Gboard and now there is this issue.

I think it is time to really look into the android version of obsidian and fix these keyboard issues.