Ambiguous / confusing instruction re linking to headings

The instructions for linking to headings (obsidian://open?vault=Obsidian%20Help&file=How%20to%2FInternal%20link) are confusing me. See my comments after them in square brackets. They say:

You can also link to specific headers in files. Start typing a link like you would normally.

When the note you want is highlighted, press # instead of Enter and you’ll see a list of headings in that file.

[so far so good]

Continue typing or navigate with arrow keys as before, press #again at each subheading you want to add, and Enter to complete the link.

[huh? this implies that you can link more than one heading. I’ve tried to replicate this and can’t. When I press # on a highlighted heading in the drop-down list it links to it and closes the dialogue window. I can see no way to link to more than one heading.]

Am I missing something?

I believe it is solely to be able to drill down to your desired link if it is a subheading. Perhaps the wording could be different but i don’t think linking to multiple headings is the intent.

1 Like

Coincidentally there was a Feature Request just last night for the ability to link to multiple headings using a special syntax as opposed to the interactive iterative approach you temporarily thought might be possible.

Here’s a link if you’re interested in voting for it:

I think it is a cool idea.

Thanks.

One # lets you see the h1s you can link to.

When you add another # (so it’s ##), it shows all the h2s in the file, and so on.

I like the idea. I also like the idea of being able to search for # (i.e. tagged words) items to link to in any document (I work with some long documents).

Thanks.

I think ‘Press # again at each subheading’ is 100% misleading.