Allow stopping the cursor from blinking

Use case or problem

I found this thread that lets you stop the cursor from blinking in vim when in normal mode.

But this will still make the cursor blink when in insert mode.

After conversations in Discord, I found out there is no way to make the cursor from blinking because of this change:

This is a deal breaker issue for me as I am used to writing long form texts without any movement on my screen. And the blinking cursor is incredibly distracting.

Proposed solution

Allow users to set a setting to stop the cursor from blinking.

Current workaround (optional)

There is none.

6 Likes

I agree this cursor situation sucks. The change should have been an optional toggle. For a dedicated writing application with extensive customizability this is a step backwards on desktop.

1 Like

Is there a way to change cursor settings at the operating system level (since Obsidian is now using the native cursor)? For example, Mac and iOS have a “reduce animations” setting in Accessibility (I don’t know if it stops cursors from blinking, but it’s an example of the sort of thing you might look for).

I looked into it but there is none I could find. There is one that supposed to work on NSText inputs which Obsidian doesn’t use. So no, there is no way to get around this blinking cursor currently.

@nikivi thanks a lot for your explanation.
So this means I can’t change a thing in regarding to cursor style settings via css snippets?
I spent numerous hours going through the obsidian forum to find a solution for at least a minor change that’d work but nothing changed the cursor style.

1 Like

Obsidian 1.0.0

Post for fellow not blinkers searching for the solution. Add this line to a file on Appearance/CSS snippets.

.cm-cursorLayer {animation: none !important;}

(only tested on linux for Normal Mode)

For Insert Mode, I change the config on the OS, I don’t have a snippet for it.

2 Likes