Allow show folder path in title

As a new user attempting to learn Obsidian, when I attempt to navigate, I have constantly found myself looking to the folder structure at left to orient myself. As stated multiple places, in a flat organization structure (workflow model), the active note is highlighted indicating “where this note lives”. This only occurs when the note is at the root, or the parent folder is open, when a note is inside a closed folder, there seems to be no indication whatsoever. I would find it helpful to simply highlight the folder in which the active note is located.

I will be installing the the Show Current File Path plugin from @mashruravi to see if a path breadcrumb solves my problem.

Personally, I’m still exploring what model/workflow to use to organize my notes, but I think the fact this feature is not as obviously necessary to the community leads me to believe most folks really are keeping rather flat workflows AKA not using many folders and certainly not using sub-folders.

So, my use case is downloading various example vaults and trying to learn how Obsidian works. The challenge I have is figuring out where I am and the feeling is disorienting. (I’m open to the idea that I’m just carrying “navigation baggage” from other applications). But I also imagine that having a note’s path indicated in the folder structure would be helpful if reorganizing from one workflow model to another: PARA, IMF, LYT etc.

#breadcrumb #path #indicator #workflow

1 Like

I’d love to see this feature too. As I structure stuff in folder/subfolders, not being able to see paths (especially when I have notes with similar names) is a deal breaker :confused:

When will this be implemented? I might freeze my move from other platforms to Obisidian based on if it will be implemented or not/when.

This plugin will do it … it’s what I use for Timing.app.

1 Like

The GitHub - pjeby/quick-explorer: Perform file explorer operations (and see your current file path) from the Obsidian.md title bar plugin won’t disambiguate the titles of two open notes, but it will show you the path of the focused one.

1 Like

I wanted something similar and eventually found it by right clicking on the open tab in Obsidian and choosing “Reveal in File Navigation”

This was implemented a while ago in the new theme.

Obsidian_giA77Zbn9J

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.