Allow custom dictionary for spellcheck

Use case or problem

It takes a long time to get new language spellcheck added to Obsidian.

There are a number of topics listed at Spellcheck for Language X that would be unnecessary if we had such feature. Then, saving time for developers and everyone willing to use it.

Proposed solution

It would be easier to support custom language spellchecks to be added by the users, as the modern browsers do.

Current workaround (optional)

I think there is no workaround.

Related feature requests (optional)

A meta topic listing other similar requests:

That feature request is closed because we have since migrated to use electron’s built-in spell checker (that in turns uses chrome’s or macos’s).

If a language is missing, open a feature request to them.

Can this process be automated instead of opening a new topic?

For example, I’ve had opened the topic Spellcheck for Latin, but I’m sure not many people use Latin. In addition maybe the users have better custom dictionaries or custom languages they may prefer instead of the hard-coded ones.

1 Like

we won’t add support for user custom dictionaries. Open a plugin idea for that.

If a language is missing, open a feature request to them.

Can this process be automated to list all languages available from Electron instead of having to open a feature request?

we won’t add support for user custom dictionaries. Open a plugin idea for that.

Can you share the reasons behind this decision?

All languages supported by electron should be already supported, automatically. If they aren’t open a Bug Report.
(I don’t see latin among them, neither in Chrome on windows).

because we are going to stick with the engine that is built into electron as opposed to having to implement our own.

Use case or problem

There is no spellcheck for Latin language, yet it is available for Chrome on Linux.

Proposed solution

Add Latin as an option for the built-in spellcheck, or let users add their own language dictionaries.

Current workaround (optional)

None.

Related feature requests (optional)

En, alius qui latine scribat! Salve!

I would use this too.

1 Like

A better solution that would help everyone using any language:

There is no latin dictionary on chrome/windows.

As it is possible to add Latin as preferred language to Chrome I thought it could use it as spell check. Maybe I’m mistaken.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.