All my notes disappeared

I have downloaded Obsidian on my Mac and have used it for a couple of months.
I even wrote new notes yesterday.
Today, when I tried to create a new note it didn´t work.
Then I closed Obsidian and when I opened it again, everything had disappeared.
What can I do to recover all my notes?

where are your notes stored exactly? what’s the directory?
What is your OS and Obsidian version?

Are your notes stored/backed up with some cloud service?

In case you store the vault on your Mac, you may check the Trash. And if you have turned on Time Machine, you may recover the content of a folder to an early time point in the Time Machine.

Looking at the description of the issue, I’d ask what do you mean when you said:

Did the notes disappear from the explorer view in Obsidian? Do the notes also get deleted and not available in the file system? If the disappearance is merely an appearance, then the notes most likely are still available somewhere. Just my 2 cents.

I used to do customer support all the time so I am sensitive to these descriptions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi there, I’m having the same issue. Obsidian seems to have reset. I still have my notes in my Vault folder but I’m not sure how to bring them back into Obsidian and have it the way it was before.

I don’t understand what you mean. Post a couple of screenshots.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.00.01 PM

So I still have the .md files but they all disappeared from the app. How do I get Obsidian to the way it was before? I used to have some community plugins too, all gone. Obsidian just reset. I didn’t do anything to my device. Logged into the very same account.

This is the help vault. You need to open YOUR vault.

FYI: