After using fnr tool on notes’ files the \ufeff symbol is placed in first line

Steps to reproduce

  • Create test .md file and type something into it
  • Use Find and Replace tool to actually change anything in the test file

Expected result

I suspect fnr changes the encoding, and I will try to ask them too (edited: I did, they paused the support a year ago). But I expect Obsidian to ignore BOM.

Actual result

I see a red dot symbol (\ufeff, BOM) at the beginning of a first line.


  • Operating system: Windows 10 Pro
  • Obsidian version: 0.10.9

Additional information

I used fnr tool on my vault to change the name of a tag (because Obsidian can’t do it yet).

related bug: Byte order mark - incorrect treatment leads to potential data loss

IMHO, BOM should be hidden from the editor, treated as feature belonging to encoding, not as part of file content.