After typing, outline scroll position resets to the top

Steps to reproduce

Open file, either new or existing file (e.g. of sandbox).

Add ~50 headings (or copy-paste existing contents to reach many headings).

Open Outline in right pane or second main window.

In Outline scroll to anywhere below halfway down, e.g. bottom of list.

In main editor pane, start typing under ANY heading, top or bottom.

Watch for changes in movement in the Outline window after a few seconds.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Y.

Expected result

The scroll position of the Outline should stay where I’ve put it. It should not reset to halfway.

Actual result

After a few seconds of typing the scroll bar position in Outline resets position to about halfway up the outline. You can then no longer see the outline of where you’re working.

This significantly hinders the usefulness of Outlines in large files.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.7
Installer version: v1.3.4
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

This automatic debug report is incorrect, as I’m using Windows 11 Pro.

Additional information

The bug is most obviously noticed if you’re working on the final heading in a large file and trying to orient yourself. It’s a critical issue for me - I need my indexes as I go through old monster files that I want to split up into smaller pieces.

I am very happy to report that this issue can be solved by using the Quiet Outline plugin instead of the default Outline plugin.

On a separate note, the first time you open the file and click the last heading in outline, focus almost always moves to the wrong heading. This is mentioned under the description “Limitations” for the Quiet Outline plugin. You have to click the heading again.

Sorry for so many edits. I’m still trying to figure out how to be useful and succinct in the information provided.

1 Like

moved to help for ignoring the bug report template.

Ah, sorry. I went through the steps but I forgot all about bug report template was mandatory. I started with posting it in help then removed that format and didn’t check the format was different in bug report. That’s on me, I shouldn’t post when tired. I’ll re do it. Sorry.

I’ve fixed the post to be the correct template. I don’t want to frustrate if I’ve made another oversight, so I’ll not post this into the bug report section until I’m told to. It may still be me making some silly error and just not knowing how.

It’s very easily reproduced on my end, and it only takes a minute to set up and test.

I am surprised I could not find mentions of it already, which makes me think I am also most likely just failing at using the search function.

Can anyone else reproduce this bug?

I am incredibly happy to report that the Quiet Outline plugin provides the same features as Outline (and more) without keeping the bug of the default Outline plugin. I am so relieved that I can keep using outlines!

Yes. Same exact problem in a 80K word note w/ about 100 headings (all different levels). It happens both in the Outline in the right sidebar, as well as in linked pane Outline. I tested this in a new sandbox vault (copied and pasted the note contents).

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.7
Installer version: v1.3.3
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

1 Like

2023-08-24_10-30-45.zip (1003.9 KB)

Here is a video, reproducing it in the Sandbox vault.

Steps:

1. New Sandbox vault
  2. Open Outline in the right sidebar
  3. In “Start Here” note, copy and paste to duplicate the note’s contents several times. In the video I did it until the note was over 100k words (not sure what the actual threshold is)
  4. Scroll down in Outline, e.g. to a heading 3/4 of the way down and click it
  5. Type something at that location
  6. After 1-2 seconds, the Outline position jumps back up near the top of the note.
1 Like

Thank you for the video proving the bug.

I wonder if this bug is related at all to why the Better Word Count plugin becomes unable to modify its daily count properly with my deletions from the end of a really large file. I only stumbled across that bug because I was trying to split my notes up to deal with this one.

Is the team able to reproduce this? (See my video above.)

1 Like

thanks, I managed to reproduce.

2 Likes

will be fixed 1.4.10

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.