Add toggle for plaintext table editing in Live Preview mode

Made an account to add to this FR. The landing page for Obsidian says: “Obsidian is the private and flexible writing app that adapts to the way you think.”. There’s a lot of discontent with this forced feature migration, please allow the users that do not want the new table editor to opt out of it

2 Likes

This table behavior does not match the behavior of WYSIWYG editing with other content, such as YAML, source code blocks, markdown headers and other markdown formatting. If my cursor enters something with a rich view, I want to be editing the source code behind that view. Learning a new set of keybinds is not something I’m going to do here. I’m going to open my folders full of markdown in VSCode and resolve the pain point. Please rethink this.

+1 for this FR

The new table rendering breaks basic markdown syntax and vim functionality. This definitely raises the friction to write tables in Obsidian.

I personally haven’t written any notes with tables in Live Preview Mode since the new update. As a workarround I’ve been using AidenLx’s excellent Table-Extended Plugin.

Considering that Tables are such a core markdown feature it’s important that one can still use the standard markdown syntax in Live Preview mode if needed. For this reason I also suggest adding the new Live Preview Table Rendering as a Core Plugin thus giving the user the freedom to toggle this feature on or off.

As a sidenote I think the old Advanced-Tables Plugin is still valuable to many people. If the user can toggle this feature off they would also be able to revert back to the Advanced-Tables Plugin which had an intuitive design and was still compatible with the vi keybindings.

I hope this is getting traction. The breaking of vim keybindings has been hard to deal with

I consider this a bug or regression rather than a feature request. Maybe the label could use an adjustment…

2 Likes

I’ve opened a bug report here Table editing doesn't revert to source code mode when my cursor enters the preview