Add to default hotkeys the OS-standard shortcuts for switching between tabs

Without looking at keyboard shortcuts in the settings, the most intuitive thing to do when trying to switch between tabs (within the same pane) would be using OS-standard shortcuts. It feels very weird/unnatural when you realize it doesn’t work while it does in every other app on the system, so you have to fight your muscle memory.

For example, on macOS, it’s cmd-{ and cmd-} – these shortcuts work absolutely everywhere, from browser tabs to IDEs like pycharm/vscode (that support multiple panes as well), to terminal managers like iTerm or the built-in Terminal, etc.

(not sure about other OSes, but I assume similar shortcuts exist on Windows/Linux?)

1 Like

Cmd-{?

You can add those to default ones using hotkeys settings.

1 Like

@WhiteNoise Of course I can, I know :smiling_face: The reason I’m mentioning this is that almost every app on the system that deals with tabs regardless of whether it’s made by Apple or any other developer supports Cmd-{/} for tab switching. If these shortcuts were set by default, it would feel more natural to most users, at least on macOS. It’s the same kind of thing as Cmd-C/Cmd-V – you’d never expect people to remap those?

Out of apps I have installed, I’ve just double checked a few that support Cmd-{/} for switching to prev/next tab: Firefox, Chrome, CLion, PyCharm, VSCode, AnyDesk, Dash, Fork, ForkLift, Slack, Discord, iTerm, Warp, etc. And default system apps that support same shortcuts: Dictionary, Terminal, Messages, Safari, Finder (!), etc.

we support them, we don’t default to them. I am not sold that we should. We are already defaulting ctrl/cmd-tab/ctrl/cmd-shift-tab which IMHO are more common.

We are already defaulting ctrl/cmd-tab/ctrl/cmd-shift-tab which IMHO are more common.

I’m able to configure both on my own, most of the apps listed in the prior reply use both, why does Obsidian have to default to only one or the other? I personally had no idea you could navigate tabs via ctrl-tab, so my humble opinion is quite different, but does that matter? Is there some evidence to support one vs the other or can we not just do both?

@morianiss The point was, there’s “system-standard” ways of switching between tabs. I.e., the builtin file explorer, web browser and terminal (Finder, Safari and Terminal) use those shortcuts. And, consequently, so do tons of other apps, including most IDEs and text editors. So if you ever used a shortcut on macOS to switch tabs, the chances are you were using Cmd-Shift-{/}. In which case, that’s the first shortcut you’d be trying out instinctively in any other app that has tabs. Kind of like Cmd-C/Cmd-V.