Add support for hidden folders in Obsidian Sync

Use case or problem

I want to maintain a local version history of my vault using Git (without using a remote repository). I would like to sync the .git folder using Obsidian Sync, but it doesn’t work because Obsidian ignores hidden folders.

Proposed solution

Allow syncing hidden folders. There could be an option in Sync settings to manually list which hidden folders to include.

Current workaround

I could use a separate solution to sync the .git folder, but I’d be concerned of creating conflicts between multiple sync services. This would also require unnecessary extra setup.

Related feature requests

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/allow-hidden-folder-for-pictures-aaa-attachments-aaa-png/8634

7 Likes

I have found other problems with this approach to versioning, so I might not use this feature exactly for the use case I mentioned. But I still think it would be a useful option to have.

Vote for the feature! It will support custom users workflows with vault. Absence of this feature will push users to custom syncing solutions instead of native one. One way to implement it: just allow users manually add folders (which not synced by default, like dot.prefixed) to sync.