Add Other App Icons

Hi! Just wanted to drop by and ask if there could be extra app icons for the macOS and iOS apps. I know there’s ways to add my own icons on macOS and iOS using shortcuts and stuff, but I thought it’d be nice if there was some official icons also provided. Obsidian is unmatched in its customization and I find it a bit lacking that there isn’t any app icon customization out of the box.

Use case or problem

There’s only one app icon provided in the app.

Proposed solution

Add more app icons to the Obsidian app, either by getting someone to make more or holding a contest to make Obsidian app icons or both. I don’t know the current ways of doing it on Windows and Android.

Current workaround (optional)

Shortcut redirects on iOS and manually changing the app icon on macOS, although they both have annoyances and a bit of a barrier to entry in terms of technical expertise.

1 Like

This seems all the more relevant with the announcement of the new obsidian icon The new Obsidian icon - Obsidian

People get riled up about visual stuff like this. Allowing folks to keep using the old icon. Or to use a grayscale one (like the variant in the announcement) would be both fun, and calm people down about the visual change.

The Reddit app Apollo does this to great effect, it is one of the pro features. Might be a way to entice folks to go for Catalyst.

1 Like

An easier way to change icons on iOS is planned. In the meantime you can use the following resources:

Figma community file with vector versions of our different variations

The icon customizer on our blog (at the bottom of the post)

1 Like