Add markers for headings and blocks that are referenced somewhere else

It would be helpful to have some visual indication when a heading or block is referenced somewhere else in the vault (and possibly how many times).

This is particularly important as a signal for the user to manually trigger the “rename header” functionality (and the upcoming rename block).

A marker in the gutter could serve this purpose.

The third party plugin Block-reference-count implements similar functionality.
Related discussion: https://forum.obsidian.md/t/viewable-links-to-block-reference/12564

9 Likes

It would be cool if the headers show backlinks near the header itself.

10 Likes

Tell me more! How do you imagine that feature to look?

Either backlinks has more structured view in the sidebar (like a ToC or outline view) and auto-expands as I move my cursor (that one is solution for the edit mode only, but could be really cool) the corresponding backlinks section, or (and that was closer to my original idea) there would be a small indicator near the header, that we have incoming links for that sectoin, which is clickable, and opens a popup or opens the Backlinks sidebar.

Ooo, now I get it! And sounds interesting:) Aside from just being a quick way to open the backlinks panel, how would that number there improve your workflow?

No need for the exact count, just a “there are some backlinks” indicator is enough (for me). That indicates one can learn about the current concept in context.

2 Likes

And, another benefit: signal that this note may be an orphan

I tend to see .md notes and headers see similarly: both are concepts, but headers have parents.

For that reason: it woul be nice to have Unlinked mentions for headers. (should this one be but to separate post?)

A header without backlinks does not necessarily mean the whole note is an orphan.

An icon indicating that a header has backlinks would be nice! Much like embedded transclusions show an indicator icon.

It could be nice if hovering over the backlink icon showed a floating list of its backlinks. But more importantly, It would be good if clicking the reference icon did not navigate to another page like embedded transclusion do, but rather open a list in the backlinks pane, giving us a choice to review each related backlink in more detail and the option to click through to them from there.

2 Likes