Add 'Inspect' to right click menu

Use case or problem

Whenever I inspect obsidian, opening up the dev tools with ctrl+shift+i, I have to dig through the surrounding context of the page before finding whatever element I’m looking for (something I often do when analyzing the obsidian CSS to figure out why my CSS isn’t applying the way I expect it to). This is time-consuming.

Proposed solution

In Google Chrome, when you right click on a part of the page, the button “inspect” pops up
This pulls up the chrome dev tools, jumping to the element your mouse was over in the elements page.

I would like to request a similar inspect button be added to the right-click menu of obsidian.

8 Likes

I was just thinking about posting this! +1 to this for sure

2 Likes

I would love this feature. I think it would greatly aid in finding elements for theme developers.

No need. Just click on this icon and you can directly select any element:

1 Like

The downside with that button is that it is not accessible for users who use only the keyboard to navigate. It requires the mouse to highlight sections.

Having this as a plugin or built-in feature would alleviate that need.

Two immediate options which come to mind:

1. Press Ctrl + [ to switch to the Elements tab and use the keyboard to navigate.

or

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + C to start the mouse picker tool, then turn on Mouse Keys in Windows with keyboard shortcut, and use the arrow keys to move the mouse then turn off again afterwards.