Ability to set default PDF Viewer

Use case or problem

Instead of using Obsidian PDF Viewer, it would be nice to use another application such as Firefox, Chrome, or Edge.

Proposed solution

Have a setting somewhere in the settings which lets the user set the default PDF viewer. When a user clicks on a PDF link/file, it’ll open in the desired PDF viewer.

Current workaround (optional)

None, using the Obsidian PDF Viewer.

1 Like

Hi @jbcurtin, welcome to the Obsidian community!

After opening a PDF in Obsidian, you can use the “Open in default app” command to open it in your OS PDF viewer. The command is in the three-dot menu of the PDF pane, and also accessible via the Ctrl-P command palette. I have the command mapped to Ctrl-Shift-O so that I can quickly open files this way.

This maybe isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, but I hope it’s helpful.

1 Like

Hi @Craig , close enough. It seems opening it with a right click is also possible. Thank you for your note!

1 Like

Hi @Craig , what about on Mobile? I don’t see “Open in default app” or “open in browser” or “open in app” on Android in the menu.

1 Like

Oh, that’s a good question. I don’t see any options for opening default app on mobile either. Maybe it’s not possible?

Might be a good candidate for a feature request.

Hi @Craig , I’m under the impression that I posted this in the “Feature Request” forum. Is there anything else I should do to nudge this along?

Hi @jbcurtin, it looks like one of the moderators moved this thread to the “resolved help” category. I think you’ll need to open a new feature request specifically for this use case, maybe titled something like “Open file in default reader on mobile”.

By the way, I’m just a fellow user, not a moderator. The best I can do is give suggestions. :slight_smile:

Good luck with your feature request!

Craig

1 Like

Hi @Craig , suggestions are welcome. Thank you for the assist.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.