Abbreviated links in tables

Steps to reproduce

Open sandbox and paste

a | b
--|-- 
[[Start Here|x]] | b

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide?

Y

Expected result

A table with a link with text “x” pointing to “Start Here”.

Actual result

A table containing cells “[[Start Here” and “x]]”.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.7
Installer version: v1.3.3
Operating system: #26~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Jul 13 16:27:29 UTC 2 6.2.0-26-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

I’m aware that there is already a (closed) post on this topic. However, I think that the solution posted in the original thread (escaping the pipe) is just a workaround and filing this as a bug is justified. Here are a few supporting arguments:

• Traditionally, | is seen as a n operator whereas [ and ] are seen as brackets and brackets take precedence before operators.
  • The syntax of wikilinks is derived from wikitext and while this markup language uses slightly different syntax for tables, it still uses the pipe character to separate cells without interfering with wikilinks.
  • Even the discourse syntax highlighting thinks this is an abbreviated link and not two separate cells.
  • If I accept a suggestion that is due to an alias defined as a note property, the generated abbreviated wikilink will be broken if it is in the context of a table.

Did you look at the help? It’s expected behaviour to escape it:

It’s also in the spec: GitHub Flavored Markdown Spec

Thank you for your answer. However, the fact that it was an active decision does not change that wikilinks in Obsidian are incompatibility with the very specification they borrow from nor does it justify that auto-completion with aliases produces broken links when invoked in the context of tables. As said, the construct is not an issue for wikitext, which also needs to escape pipes in cell bodies.

Sure, but it changes it from a bug to a feature request :wink:

1 Like

I would still consider auto completion producing broken links a bug, but I agree that it’s not the bug that I originally filed.
Edit: I would also consider it a bug in the specification since it violates the specification that it is based on.

Yeah, please, open a Feature Request for this. Thanks

Sorry, I had missed this in your previous post. Yes, I would definitely consider that a bug.

Handling of aliases in tables - | isn’t automatically escaped