A Dropbox Paper style TOC/Outline plugin

Hey Folks,

I’m not even sure if this is possible with the current APIs, but I’d love a responsive TOC plugin, ALA Dropbox Paper. The core outline plugin technically does that job, but it’s a pane that I only want open every once and a while, so I end up never using it.

If you’re not familiar with dropbox paper, here is a quick recording:
Kapture 2021-12-29 at 10.54.45

What’s so useful about this design to me is:

• It’s stable. The dashes, that represent each header, are fixed. No matter where you scroll in the document, they stay the same.
  • It provides subtle, but useful information about the document in an unobtrusive way, ie: each dash is a heading and the size of the dash indicates it’s place in the document hierarchy
  • When you want to engage it, it reveals all the information you would want

Is there anything like this out there? If not, does anyone know if there are apis for arbitrary UI placement inside of a document container? I know the backlinks plugin lets you put stuff at the bottom of the doc, but that is not quite the same.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I miss this feature as well!

Not sure but I looked briefly and only found this and I think it works kinda good… just go into the options and tweak the animation to 0 and some other things and you should be good to go.

… the floating TOC is one of those features people don’t know they want or miss because they’ve never used it. A fantastic idea from team dropbox

:crossed_fingers: