A bulit-in slip-box numbering system

Hi everyone! I’m not a computer scientist, I’m a scholar and I daily work a lot on academic writings (readings, note-taking). Up to now, in order to organise hierarchically my permanent notes, I use an ad hoc slip-box numbering system I found on the web. I talk about it here. The order is very simple to set: 1, 1a, 1a1, 1a1a, and so on. The fact is that if it’s simple to use, I’d like to use a built-in system which would be somehow stronger. I mean: I’d like to use an alpha-numeric order (1., 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1a) or something which would be similar withouht making it manually. Since Obsidian is designed for note-taking, wouldn’t it be in the order of things if such a tool was integrated as a built-in feature? Thanks for your suggestions.

1 Like

What about unique note creator core plugin?

or you can use X for incremental numbers starting from Unix Epoh…

I can’t think of any other way to automatically add a hierarchy. Best way is to use folders.

2 Likes

If I have to number an outline, as it is a general rule in academic research, I use this simply order: 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, which is automatically indented with Latex. Why is this simple numbering not an obsidian core feature, even an optional one? Is this so complicated to set for computer scientists? Finally, I use the following alpha-numeric order: - 1 - Title
1a - Title
1a1 - Title
1a1a - Title
1b - Title
(…)