1Writer iOS create or open Daily Note shortcut

Sounds great! It is surprising how some of the automation is so much simpler on iOS devices vs PC/Macs.

I’m guessing the reason you’re not using iCloud for your vault is because of being on a PC? I just want to clarify, if not for you then for others, that 1Writer’s URL scheme does have a path parameter to create a note in any location, as long as that location is inside 1Writer’s iCloud folder.

I have another old shortcut which creates a movie journal log (formatted as a table) which I used with Day One and later modified it for Obsidian. I used another method to get those notes in my Films folder in the vault. Since Shortcuts cannot write to files outside of the Shortcuts folder in iCloud, I created a folder called Films for Obsidian in there and setup a folder action on the Mac to move any file found here to the Films folder in Obsidian vault. I certainly wouldn’t depend on something like this to sync the entire vault but for a few notes like this it works quite well and almost instantly.

Now, after seeing your workflow, I think it’s time for me to update it perhaps to directly save it to the Obsidian vault since it resides in 1Writer now.

Thanks for sharing your workflow! If you don’t mind, would you share your shortcut (removing any personal details) for the daily note? It seems like it replicates almost all of Day One’s functionality. Perhaps create a separate thread so it’s more noticeable for everyone.

1 Like

I keep getting an error that it can’t find the folder

/Dropbox

I don’t have the slash in the configuration. So not sure why it is failing for me, maybe something with my Dropbox setup? (Which is standard)’

I also have an underscore in my Vault name, maybe that?

It’s hard to guess without more info, sorry. When you first install the shortcut, does it ask you the two import questions? Those are all you should need to modify in order to set up the shortcut—you shouldn’t edit anything in the shortcut itself!

FWIW, I’ve been struggling with using 1Writer as my Obsidian iPadOS app (until their app is released). For me, the easy part, in this work around is that I do not use 1Writer for anything else. It was easy to create a sub folder in the iPadOS iCloud 1Writer sandboxed “root’ folder. It was also easy to point Obsidian to that sub folder. The problem for me became trying to have the Shortcut app use the 1Writer URL Scheme to access anything OTHER than the Root folder when trying to create a new file (Zettel). I finally accomplished it by setting up the Obsidian sub-folder as the Default folder in the General section of the 1Writer Settings screen (below). From there I didn’t need to use the URL “path” instructions and my Shortcut worked. YMMV!

2 Likes

How can I change the file name from YYYY-MM-DD.md to YYYYMMDD.md?

My scripting skills are weak…

Which file name? New daily notes in Obsidian? See Preferences → Plugins → Daily Note and remove the dashes in the template note title there.

The Template in Obisdian is set to be without dashes. The Shortcut script creates md files with dashes, which is what I’m trying to change.

Oh! Each Date field comes with its own settings. Tap that field (you’ll find three: one in each for Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow) and edit the Date format option there.

Each date field you need to change looks like this:

Custom->yyyyMMdd should work, I think, but I haven’t tried it.

Thanks! That worked!

I’m getting the error “Could not run Open URLs - This action is not currently available.” when I try to run the shortcut. Any idea why this is happening?

I set it up using iCloud. My daily notes folder is located here: iCloud Drive > 1Writer > Obsidian > Daily. I put the path as Obsidian/Daily.

hmm. Been a while since I used the workflow, and I have never used it with iCloud, so I might be of limited help… mind screenshotting the first part of the shortcut and sharing it here?

I didn’t change anything and it’s suddenly working. Always weird when that happens. Here’s a screenshot in case it’s helpful to anyone else.

1 Like

Computer weather! Thanks for reporting back.

Thanks for the great shortcut. This had me move my vault to the 1Writer iCloud folder, which is not nice but finally provides a usable experience for accessing your daily note on iOS.

In case people are finding this later, I had this same issue and traced it back to the fact that I had spaces in my file path. Replacing those with %20 did the trick!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the shortcuts. Just a note, you can concatenate those 2 urls with x-success to avoid jump back and forth :slight_smile:

Picking this problem up from a few months ago… it turned out to be the space in the folder name. I renamed the folder from “Text Files” to “TextFiles” and it worked. I hadn’t been here in a while but someone up above solved this too! (Maybe put a guidance note during the setup?)

Thanks for this Shortcut, I really like it and it’s my first introduction to Shortcuts!

1 Like