0.11.1 Incompatible with Cryptomator on Windows?

I have my Obsidian vault synchronized between Windows 10 and Ubuntu using Dropbox and Cryptomator (with Dokany driver). This setup has been working fine for about 6 months (since I started using Obsidian).

Since the last update to 0.11.1 (insider), it still works in Linux, but not in Windows. When I try to open the vault, Obsidian gets stuck in the loading screen, and an error message is displayed in the top right corner.

Steps to reproduce

Open vault that is stored inside a Cryptomator volume

Expected result

Vault is opened normally

Actual result

Vault loading screen gets stuck. Program doesn’t complete loading. Error message displayed in the top right corner: ENOENT: no such file or directory, realpath (and here it displays the path).

There appear 2 new files in the root of the vault: .obtest and .OBSIDIANTEST, both of them with size 0.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: 0.11.1

Additional information

2 Likes

yes we are aware of this. This was due to the chage to support symlinks while avoiding loop directory structures.

Thanks a lot for the info. I did a search but I couldn’t find anything related to this.

should be fixed in 0.11.2

It works great now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Some bug still remains or something goes wrong with me…

"EISDIR: Illegal operation on a directory, watch ‘O:’

Obsidian version: 0.11.2
Using Cryptomator version: 1.5.12 (exe-2653.213)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create cryto vault with Cryptomator under OsX on drop box.
  2. put stuff in there…
  3. boot windows,
  4. mount dropbox-cryptomator vault to drive O:
  5. start Obsidian and mount the vault on O:

What is a difference here between the OsX and the windows version is that OsX mounts it under /volumes/obsidian and here its root folder is mounted on drive O:

Just reporting, will try to lift the directory structure one level up and see if that works.
Result: putting all files in a separate directory still fails with the same error.

Since this bug was closed for version 0.11.1 I reopend a new one for the current version which is haunted again with this bug here: Illegal operation

3 Likes

Same with me on Windows 10 - 1909, with version 0.11.5.
I am using Obsidian on Cryptomator, as well.

• Same reprod. steps than Wxll.
  • Error message is exactly the same, except the path of course.
  • No problem with other apps reading/writing in this Cryptomator vault.

follow the new bug report Will created.